2nd Batch of cheese

Started by psuman316, December 20, 2009, 04:17:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

psuman316

decided to do another batch of cheese for the holidays once again I did Muenstar, hot Pepper Jack, Horseradish, Cheddar, and Pepperoni.  Did 40 lbs this time and let me tell you the smoker was packed.  Smoked for 4 hours using pecan this time (Smoking time of 4 hours was perfect on first batch).  Already got rid of the 35 pounds in a little over a week word has really spread.  One suggestion I have to cut the cheese no pun intented I use fishing line to cut my 5lb blocks, works really well.  Question for the board how much do you charge people for your smoked cheese per pound? I am selling 1.25 lbs for $5.00 just curious thanks in advance. 

ronbeaux

Nice tip on the cutting!
Send me about 5lbs for testing and I'll help you come up with a fair price ;D
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

pensrock

I charge $2.00/pound if they supply the cheese.

manxman

One suggestion I have to cut the cheese no pun intented I use fishing line to cut my 5lb blocks, works really well.

Excellent tip, thanks.  :)
Manxman

ArnieM

PS,

1.25 pounds for $5.00 sounds dirt-cheap to me.  What do you pay for a 5 pound block?  Around here I'm hard pressed to find anything for less than $5/pound.  Of course, that's for smaller package sizes (see below).  These are getting up to room temp.  I might also try a bar of cream cheese.

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

pensrock

Quote1.25 pounds for $5.00 sounds dirt-cheap to me.  What do you pay for a 5 pound block?  Around here I'm hard pressed to find anything for less than $5/pound.  Of course, that's for smaller package sizes (see below).  These are getting up to room temp.  I might also try a bar of cream cheese.
It depends on the kind of cheese. I pay anywhere from $15.00-$25.00 for a five pound block.

Quarlow

Quote from: psuman316 on December 20, 2009, 04:17:03 PM
One suggestion I have to cut the cheese no pun intented I use fishing line to cut my 5lb blocks, works really well.    
Another little tip to go along with this is to get two pieces of hardwood dowel and drill a hole in each, then feed the fishline through it and tie. This really saves the fingers on the hard cheese.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.