Seasoned and ready

Started by Paddlinpaul, December 22, 2009, 05:25:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paddlinpaul

Well I finally found the time to get my new BOS seasoned and ready to try. I bought a 3lb slab of salmon and am curing it as I post this. This will be my first dish, I am trying the smoked gravelox recipe that came with the smoker. It is 5F tonight with a slight wind, I was really impressed how it held the temp the 150 mark at medium near for the 2+ hours I seasoned. Temperature is supposed to go up by Thursday when I cold smoke the salmon. I'll probably go the 3 hours with alder. I'll try to get some pics up when I take it out.
With my Bradley, no one tells me to quit smoking!

classicrockgriller

paul, of course we like pics, but you should try to post pics and keep pics of your smokes for reference.

You will be glad you did.

Hope you have a great smoke on your salmon.

Also by posting your pics when you start someone might see something that can help you from having a bad smoke.

ronbeaux

I feel left out with all of these guys saying it is below 40 outside..........

Welcome!
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

Paddlinpaul

The smoker is on my back dek and right behind my house is a park with toboggan hill and two outdoor skating rinks. Feels weird smoking and watching that at the same time.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Paddlinpaul on December 22, 2009, 05:41:11 PM
The smoker is on my back dek and right behind my house is a park with toboggan hill and two outdoor skating rinks. Feels weird smoking and watching that at the same time.

That is sad to have to have a view like that. ;D ;D

classicrockgriller

Just remember coming up to temp and holding temps in a empty
Bradley is alot different than having globs of mass in them.

Even here in Texas I pre-heat my Bradley either on the default
setting when you turn it on (280) or higher.

I leave it there even after I put what I am gonna smoke in it till
the cab temp reaches the temp I want to smoke at.

Especially in your area of the country you need to pre-heat.

Ka Honu

Quote from: Paddlinpaul on December 22, 2009, 05:41:11 PM... toboggan hill ... outdoor skating rinks.

I don't even know what those things are but they sound cold.

MPTubbs

Quote from: Ka Honu on December 22, 2009, 06:39:04 PM
Quote from: Paddlinpaul on December 22, 2009, 05:41:11 PM... toboggan hill ... outdoor skating rinks.

I don't even know what those things are but they sound cold.

Ka Honu...are U sure U don't want to trade states for lets say 3 months. Right now were getting iced over and a sh*t load of snow is right behind it. It will be a learning curve! lol

Classic is right. Once U load it up with ummies it become a different machine.
Practice-practice-practice!  ;)
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

OU812

Welcome to the fun Paddlinpaul

Let us know how your salmon turns out.

Paddlinpaul

I just loaded the salmon in the smoker. It is a cold smoked recipe, going to try 3 hours with the alder pucks. It is just below freezing temp outside. I am only leaving the damper open a bit as I am cold smoking. Should I open it more?

KyNola

Paul,
Alder is great on salmon.  Even though you are cold smoking, I would open that vent a little more.

KyNola

Paddlinpaul

Thanks, I'll open it a bit more. Here is another attempt at posting a pic.

KyNola

Paddlinpaul

Thanks for the hint. I was using the path to the shortcut instaed of the actual picture. Brainf*!t on my part.

OU812

Looks good paul, even your dog is givin his approval.

I would open the vent at least 1/4 of the way maybe even a little more depending on how much condensation that starts building up in the cabnet. Watch for any water drippin out the door thats a good sign the vent is closed to far. The cold weather really makes for allot on condensation.