New Google Task Bar

Started by Habanero Smoker, March 21, 2005, 10:47:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

For those who use the Google Search Task bar, you know that it generally updates itself. For some reason mine would not automatically update, so I had to go to Google's site and do it manually. If you haven't updated yet, it is worth doing it manually. The new task bar has a spell checker, that lets you spell check what you type on a web page. For example when I finish typing this message, I will click on the spell check button, and Google will check the spelling. There is a few sites the spell checker does not work, but it works on this site.

Now, if they only add a grammar checker.[:D]

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Oldman

HS,
I might be wrong but I thought I read that Google was running spyware in the background of that bar. If not let me know please!

Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Habanero Smoker

It's not their tool bar that is running spy-ware, or does anything of their software or sites have spy-ware. The problem of spy-ware and Google is that spy-ware companies are using Google's sponsor sites, to advertise their spy ware. When people see that it is a Google sponsored ad they assume (because Google has a squeaky clean reputation) that the ads are safe, and people are down loading spy-ware when they think they are down loading a reputable product. Google knows this is happening but has not taken any action to stop these bums. As far as their software, it remains "squeaky clean."

Please refer to the article posted on PC-Pitstop, http://www.pcpitstop.com/news/rob/rcheng0502.asp . They give a detail review of the problem.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

MallardWacker

About the spy-ware, you have choice to exclude it but you loose some functionality.  I have had no problem.  However I would like to see the update for the spell checker.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Oldman

As far as an online spell checker goes this is not a bad one. It will do single words, or post up to 20,0000 characters.

You just copy your text into the body. Make the corrections and then copy it back to your posting.

Plus they have some really neat little programm: like the KitchenMath.

Online Spell Checker

Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Habanero Smoker

That is a good spell checker. Prior to getting the new Google Tool bar I was cutting, and pasting the text in Word. But with the Google Tool Bar I only have to click one button, no cutting or pasting.

I book marked the site, I like that Kitchen Math calculator, it will come in handy. Thanks.

I
         don't
                   inhale.