Happy New Years from Baton Rouge, LA

Started by bayamosmokes, December 27, 2009, 09:27:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayamosmokes

Hello All,

Santa brought me an OBS for Christmas and I finally got to season it today. My only set back was i plugged it into an outdoor plug and it threw my GFI breaker once  >:(. I am planning on smoking some baby backs Tuesday and cant wait. I have been surfing this forum the past few nights and am amazed by the amount of support given by fellow "smokers". Thank you all as I have already learned a tremendous amount.

BTW, Who Dat and Geaux Tigers. Good luck in Orlandeaux!  
"The Gulf of Mexico is a very big ocean. The amount of volume of oil and dispersant we are putting into it is tiny in relation to the total water volume.""

"I think the environmental impact of this disaster is likely to have been very, very modest."

"I want my life back,"
BP CEO Tony Hayward

hal4uk

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Gizmo

Welcome,
I have never had a problem with GFI on mine but have seen posts from others.  There may be a couple of reasons it could happen so if it keeps up, you will need to post a little more on it to let us know.

I am ready for some Nawlens Gulf Shrimp in some jambalaya but will have to wait for the Crawfish boil memorial day weekend.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

classicrockgriller

Glad to have you aboard!

If you have been surfin the forum you know if you have any questions, just ask!

There are some fellow breaux's from cajun land here on the forum, and some misplaced 1/2 cajuns.

We needed someone from the "Red Baton" to complete the cycle.

Nice to have you here and if we can help, we will!

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum bayamosmokes!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

MPTubbs

Happy New Year right back at ya....Welcome Bayamosmokes!
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

KyNola

Weclome aboard.  Lots of great folks here ready to help you in any manner possible.

KyNola

ronbeaux

The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

KevinG

Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

bayamosmokes

You guys sure know how to make someone feel welcome. I love how active this forum is. I haven't even used my smoker and was already feeling a bit intimidated as I tend to over think things sometimes. Y'all are taking the edge off.

Couple of questions.

1. When using the Maverick et-73, do you close the door on the wire or drop it down from the top opening?

2. Is the PID a must? As I read this forum it seems many users have problems with maintaining temperatures. I also see some users have problems with attaining temperatures above 220. When I seasoned my OBS I only played in the 150 range so I am not sure if that is going to be a problem.

Thanks again for all of your help.
"The Gulf of Mexico is a very big ocean. The amount of volume of oil and dispersant we are putting into it is tiny in relation to the total water volume.""

"I think the environmental impact of this disaster is likely to have been very, very modest."

"I want my life back,"
BP CEO Tony Hayward

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: bayamosmokes on December 28, 2009, 12:23:40 PM
You guys sure know how to make someone feel welcome. I love how active this forum is. I haven't even used my smoker and was already feeling a bit intimidated as I tend to over think things sometimes. Y'all are taking the edge off.

Couple of questions.

1. When using the Maverick et-73, do you close the door on the wire or drop it down from the top opening?

2. Is the PID a must? As I read this forum it seems many users have problems with maintaining temperatures. I also see some users have problems with attaining temperatures above 220. When I seasoned my OBS I only played in the 150 range so I am not sure if that is going to be a problem.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Welcome to the forum bayamosmokes.

1. I just close the door on the Maverick sensor. It's a thin cable so it's not a problem.

2. Try it with out a PID and see how it works for you. If you plan on smoking sausage and fish, the PID is a great addition.
HawkeyeSmokes

KyNola

1. I have done it both ways.  Finally decided that just closing the door on it was easier, especially if you have to rotate racks for any reason.

2.I agree with Hawkeye.  Try it without the PID to get the feel for your smoker.  Unless you're going to be smoking something like sausage where temp control may be a bit more critical you may find you don't need a PID at all.

Have fun!
KyNola

bayamosmokes

KyNola,

OT, but those Saints are killing me!!!! :o  The dream of a black & gold superbowl seem to be going up in smoke, no pun intended.

Still have my LSU tigers to look forward to Jan 1.

"I want my life back,"
BP CEO Tony Hayward

KyNola

Yesterday's game was so disappointing and 100% uncalled for.  They had a win, an ugly win but a win in their grasp along with home field advantage for the entire playoff and let it slip through their fingers.  When the Bucs won the OT toss I knew the final outcome.

Good luck with your LSU Tigers!

KyNola