Aloha from Hawaii! New to smoking and learning so much here!

Started by Naka, December 28, 2009, 01:13:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Naka

We have had our Digital Bradley smoker for a month or so and so far have only done pork butt strips soaked in a teriyaki sauce......known locally here only as "smoke meat".  Am trying to branch out and have learned so much from reading the forums!  Most importantly I learned not to keep the vent totally closed as I have been doing.  My thought was that I needed to keep the smoke in as much as possible!  No wonder it drips all over the place!!  Thanks for that tip as I could have easily done some real damage to the smoker per your posts.  Am breathing a sigh of relief not to have to worry about the wind and freezing cold issues so many of you have to deal with!  I am trying to keep mine out of the sun!!

We would like to make fish jerky....more of a dried fish than a smoked fish.  Could  any of you experienced folks tell us if this could be done in a Bradley as well?  Do you know if it performs well on very low heat?  I am thinking  we need a dehydrator rather than a smoker but wanted to see if there was a chance the Bradley could do double duty. 

Any input would be greatly appreciated.  I noticed several posts from "Ka Honu"..... are you in Hawaii also? 

"Mahalo" in advance for any suggestions.

Naka

car54

Aloha Naka,

Welcome to the forum. There are many great people adding to the success of it and much knowledge is available. Ka Honu is from Hawaii and I am sure that he will be posting soon.

Brad

Naka

Thanks for the welcome Brad.  I figured Ka Honu must be from here as Honu is the Hawaiian word for turtle.

Looking forward to learning!

Naka

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Quarlow

Aloha Naka welcome to the forum. The Bradley will make fish jerky but you just have to watch it close cause you it will turn in to fish leather pretty quick. My brother just made some awesome salmon strips but he left it at the end and the bottom rack got roasted. No worrys though he will just put them in soup or something like that. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions. We all have done it or know someone who has.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Ka Honu

Naka -

Kaneohe here.  You?

Welcome to the forum.  I'm not much of a fish smoker but you'll get lots of help from those who are.