Prime Rib - need some quick help - done way early

Started by 02bfishn, December 28, 2009, 10:00:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

02bfishn

Following recipes on here - put a 10.5 lber in at 225 planning on 7+ hours.  Well - I just drug it out after about 4 hours and IT is 125°.  Now it is FTC'd it in a warm cooler - but I am still 5-6 hours from chow time.  Reccomendations on how to proceed?  Let her cool off and warm up in the overn for meal time I guess?  Thanks all in advance.

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum 02bfishn!

Since it is lean, it doesn't take that long.

FTC should hold it pretty well.

Or you could double wrap it in foil and put it in a ~130F oven to keep it warm until serving time.

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

02bfishn

Thanks FLBentRider,
This forum is a killer resource - I have produced some killer ribs thanks to all the advice found here. 

First go with the big hunk of pricey bovine and don't want to screw up.  Its now up to 132 IT - wondering how much more it will climb?  What do you think - let it go?

oakville smoker

I pulled an 8 pounder at 140 yesterday and FTC'd for 4 hours.
yes doen way too early
Amazing, when I pulled it from the cooler, it was steaming and still med rare
I did put it in the oven and blast it for 10 mins at 375 and that pushed it beyond medium
It was still tender and juicy.  I like mine still moooing but had to concede a bit with company yesterday
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

FLBentRider

That depends on what level of doneness you want.

You are almost at medium now.

If it was me, I would FTC it now and then pop it into a 500F oven for 5-8 minutes (uncovered) right before you serve to put a nice crust on it.

I pulled mine out @ 120F
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

02bfishn

Appears to be leveled off at 132.  Will leave it FTC'd and do a quick oven blast before serving.  Will let you know how it does.  Thanks all for your help.

Pachanga

FTC the PR. Stick a probe in it and run the wire out of the cooler.  Monitor the temperature.  If it starts to cool down, throw a heating pad on low in the cooler with the FTC wrapped PR.  My heating pad maintains 115 in a cooler on low.  This will slow the cooling.  Bump the pad higher as necessary. 

I pull my PR out of the Bradley at 125 for Medium Rare.  It rests for 40 minutes to an hour where the temperature rises due to hangover heat.It sounds like you are at medium rare to medium after the temperature rise to 132.  Probably perfect.

That said, FLBentrider's recent prime rib pulled at 120? looks perfect.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pacahnga

ArnieM

I had the same problem on Christmas Day - done way too early.  I did an FTC for over 5 hours.  Preheated the oven to 500-550 and put the rib roast back in for about 10 minutes.  It came out really well.  Link here: http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=13369.0
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.