• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Brick Question

Started by gotbbq, March 22, 2005, 11:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nsxbill

I change out the water to get rid of the acrid taste that the spent pucks in the water exudes  into the smoker.  

Not smoking much over the temp of 210° water doesn't boil so doesn't evaporate.  

I just did a 24 hour smoke, changed out the water after 4 hours of smoke, and still have water in the pan after 20hrs at 205°.  Given the choice in changing the water or not, I would always opt to change it.  JMHO.  To each their own.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

msiler

I tend to smoke overnight and even at 160 degrees it will evaporate. It does not have to boil to evaporate. Maybe mine dries out faster due to how dry the air is in TX.

When in doubt smoke it.

nsxbill

msiler

My water boils at 214° in the El Dorado Foothills here in California.  Proabaly in  Texas, for the most part, at 212°.  

My cabinet temp of 205° for this smoke, in combination with the meat itself putting out moisture into the cabinet seems to make the changed water last.  I do fill it to the very top while in place. I also do most of my cooks with the vent only about 1/4" cracked.  Maybe you are opening up more?

There wasn't much water left in may cabinet but still some, of course with a layer of fat floating on top!    

Would like to use a larger water resevoir but something that would nest inside brick to hold in the heat a little better.  One day I am going to do get some unglazed tile and go to work on layers of tile cut out in the middle for the pan to sit down in.  While you were accross the pond, one of the guys added a salamander heating element that he wired into his guru/raptor controller.  Nice setup and also a larger pan for the water.

Check this out if you haven't done so already:

http://bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=794&SearchTerms=salamander

Pretty cool set-up and probably would also work with your oven thermostat if you were interested.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>[
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.