• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Brick Question

Started by gotbbq, March 22, 2005, 11:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gotbbq

Hey-

I was wondering for those that use or know about putting a brick or 2 in the BS to keep/get temp up quicker- do you warm the brick before putting it in or just let it heat during warm-up to help keep temp stable after opening the door.  How do you heat the brick?  Oven, microwave, blow torch?[^][^][^]

gotbbq

nsxbill

You could heat it up in your oven inside if you want.  When I get off the blocks and do this myself, I am just going to heat up the BS with brick inside.  Once it is hot, it will maintain the heat.  Can't see carrying a hot brick out to the smoker from inside.  Too far and too hot to handle!

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

i ues 1 brick in my bs, i leave it in there and heat it with the warm up of my bs, dont use a fire brick it wont hold the heat use a regular brick,

MallardWacker

This is just a thought about "Fire Brick" from a guy that was "Hod Carrier" through college.  The masons I worked with said fire brick was mainly used because of the high heat and it's inability to to expode or crack onder those conditions.  This is why I would use this brick, personally.  The question about being an insulator is correct but also it does not loose heat either(at least for what we are talking about).  I think it would be fine using a fire brick.  The neatest idea yet for a heat mass comes from WhiteTailFan, a bowl of ceramic brickettes is the best I heard yet.  Just my thoughts and nothing more....

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Habanero Smoker

I use just a regular brick. The brick was from an old building that had been torn done. Many were irregular sizes, so I had to find one that would fit.

It would help to preheat the brick first, but I don't. Just seems like one extra step to say 10-20 minutes of preheat time.

Man, am I lazy [:(]

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ChefBill

How about a piece of "Pizza Stone", That sucker has one hell of a heat holding capacity. Heats up slow but holds heat forever and a day.  [:)]   Bill

If you can eat it, you can smoke it.
If you can eat it, Then You can smoke it

gotbbq

I tried microwaving the brick for a fast hot.  I was a little nervous with any moisture in the brick, possibility of explosion.  Anyway, worked fine.  Wrapped in a towel before heating.  Think i'll just heat it in the bs when preheating.  Thanks all-[^][^][^]

gotbbq

JJC

I managed to pick up some ceramic brickettes unbelievably cheap from a BBQ store going out of business up here.  Just as WTF said, they work great as heat retainers.  I'm too lazy to pre-heat them--I just stick them in the BS during the pre-heat.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JJC</i>
<br />I managed to pick up some ceramic brickettes unbelievably cheap from a BBQ store going out of business up here.  Just as WTF said, they work great as heat retainers.  <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Even cheaper at WalleyWorld, you get a HUGE bag.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I'm too lazy to pre-heat them--I just stick them in the BS during the pre-heat.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> I'm with you on this John.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

oguard

I use a couple of terra cotta tiles I had laying around.They seem to work well I do pre heat them in the oven to about 220f.

<b><font face="Comic Sans MS">KEEP ON SMOKIN</font id="Comic Sans MS"></b>
<b><font face="Comic Sans MS">Mike</font id="Comic Sans MS"></b>
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

Harpo

after reading these articles from all, was thinking of using brickets, what do you set them in a bread pan  or disposable pan, because they are skinny.
Open for suggestions.
Harpo

Habanero Smoker

I use a brick, and that slides in next to the water pan (on the right side), so you can also do the same with the brickets.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Chez Bubba

Harpo,

I would follow Habby's advice & keep them under the light tube in the flat drip tray. If you put them in a pan on the first-from-the-bottom rack, make sure you have adequate clearance around the sides for the smoke & HEAT to circulate freely. Trap too much heat & you risk smoker meltdown.[:(]

Not to mention re-decorating parts of your house, as Emeril likes to say.[;)]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Harpo

Thanks for the comeback Chez & Habby,

I went to wally world to pick up a ham for my trip to Conn. While there I picked up the brickets they were $ 3.97, and a aluminum mini loaf pan they come in a set of 5 they are the disposable aluminum. They fit right next to the water pan on either side and are 5 in long 3 1/2 in wide and 2 inches deep. Did not fill it with brickets yet but it sure looks pretty.[:p]
Harpo

msiler

One thing I have done too hold heat is to use a larger water pan. Try a aluminum foil cake pan or turkey roaster pan. It helps hold temp when you open the door. It also eliminates the need to open the door to empty water pan multiple times during long smokes. The stock water pan will go dry in about 2-3 hours then smoldering pucks are no longer exinguished.

When in doubt smoke it.