• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

OBS, Mods, And PID- a newbie experience

Started by GusRobin, December 29, 2009, 10:48:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

Got the OBS for Christmas, did notice a cracked faceplate. Called Brian and a new one is on the way (thanks Brian).
After seasoning the unit I decided to add the second heater element. Directions were easy to follow (thanks Mike and Habs) but I was glad I took pictures of the original wiring and other parts before I started as it came in handy. A good crimping tool (about $10) was also helpful.
If anyone is having temp problems, the added element is the way to go.
This morning I started a brisket that I have had curing to make pastrami. It was around 38 degrees out when I started. The smoker got up to the pre-heat temp (245) in about 15 minutes. Opened the door to add the brisket and after I closed the door the temp had dropped to 183. It got back up to the cooking temp of 220 in about 8 minutes. Highly recommend adding the second element. It is a cheap and easy mod even for a novice.
Using the PID the temp is holding within +-2 degree swings. 
I will post pictures when the pastrami is finished.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

squirtthecat

Dang, good job!
I need to look into this...

Or can I just [REDACTED]

BigJohnT

I'm thinking of putting my Cajun turkey fryer burner in my OBS for that boost of heat now that the only thing I use it for is Crayfish boils now... What do you think Squirt? I love the smell of propane in the morning... or cordite.

John

squirtthecat

Quote from: BigJohnT on December 29, 2009, 04:10:14 PM
I love the smell of propane in the morning... or cordite.

Or Pecan, Apple, Hickory...     Or Napalm - I mean 'Mesquite'. :D

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: squirtthecat on December 29, 2009, 03:06:00 PM

Dang, good job!
I need to look into this...

Or can I just wedge my Traeger firebox/fan/control into the side of my Bradley?   ??? ::) 8)

(Brian, I'm just kiddng...)

HEYYYYYYY

squirtthecat

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on December 29, 2009, 04:37:15 PM
Quote from: squirtthecat on December 29, 2009, 03:06:00 PM
Or can I just [REDACTED]

HEYYYYYYY

DOH!    Time to delete posts to hide Ancient Nepese Secret to be!