What is ment by PID

Started by blachance, December 29, 2009, 04:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blachance

Hello to all,

I'm new to the meat smoking seen. I just purchased my first smoker today!  It is a 6 rack digital one. I've just started reading some topics and wanted to know what PID is?

Thanks to all

pensrock

I do not know who actually started calling it a PID. It is a temperature controller that uses PID to adjust the temperature. They are very accurate and able to maintain the set temperature to within a degree or two. Another type of temperature controller (like the Bradley digital or your home oven) is an off/on control. Not nearly as accurate but does a good job.

blachance

Should I still get a PID even the digital smoker?

pensrock

I did but that's because I wanted tighter control for doing sausage and fish. The digital Bradley will only control maybe +-10 degrees F at best and a PID temperature controller will control +-1 degree F. But that said, there are MANY people on here that make everything they want only using the Bradley control whether its the digital or original. Do you need a PID controller? No, will it make smoking certain foods easier? yes.

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: blachance on December 29, 2009, 05:11:34 PM
Should I still get a PID even the digital smoker?

Try it out for a while and see how you like it. For things like ribs, pork butts, briskets, chicken, don't really think you will need one. For sausage and smoked fish, a PID sure helps.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

I see Pens beat me to it.  ;D
HawkeyeSmokes

blachance

Sounds like I will be getting a PID because I will be smoking a lot of Deer Sausage!

hal4uk

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Paddlinpaul

Thanks for the link hal4uk. You should have warned us to have a secomd cup of coffee though, that was a little rough on the brain this morning with only one cup in me :)
With my Bradley, no one tells me to quit smoking!

Roadking

Quote from: pensrock on December 29, 2009, 05:24:29 PM
I did but that's because I wanted tighter control for doing sausage and fish. The digital Bradley will only control maybe +-10 degrees F at best and a PID temperature controller will control +-1 degree F. But that said, there are MANY people on here that make everything they want only using the Bradley control whether its the digital or original. Do you need a PID controller? No, will it make smoking certain foods easier? yes.

Hi Pens,
Same reason I went to the Auber.
Specally for smoking sausage.