Good inexpensive knives?

Started by str1der, March 22, 2005, 08:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

str1der

Can anyone recommend a good set of cooking knives that aren't expensive?

simmy

I picked up some Chicago cutlery for about $50.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-6/qid=/ref=sr_1_6/601-0548284-4324133?%5Fencoding=UTF8&asin=B0000U0OOM

They seem to work really well. I have no complaints.

Steve

Habanero Smoker

I'm not sure what you consider inexpensive, but for home use Forschner Knives (same company that makes the Swiss Knife), gives you the best value and quality for your cost. May save you money in the long run.

You would need to search the internet for the best value.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

str1der

I guess by inexpensive I'm looking for a set of the basics for under $100

Chez Bubba

Personally, I'd forego the set mentality & spend as much as you can stomach on just 4 individual knives. With these 4 you can do just about anything: Chef, paring, boning/filet, bread. That's listed in my order of importance to me because I don't bake bread![:)]

If I were on a budget, I would buy the last 3 from WallyWorld & spend the remaining balance on a quality chef's knife. It's truly the most versatile and most used in my block.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

jaeger

str1der,
I have found a few really nice knives lately at some estate sales. It seems that they are overlooked by others. I found a very nice slicer/prime rib knife at a garage sale about a year ago - cheap!
I would agree with Chez and find a nice chef knife and make sure you have a large poly cutting board.

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

owrstrich

i got this set of 3 henckels... i have not owned many expensive knives but i can tell you for $25 these are alarmingly sharp... and have stayed sharp from day 1...  

here b the link...

http://www.lnt.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1434293&cp=1331607.1331949.1332254&filter=yes&fCat=1332254&page=2&doVSearch=no&pageBucket=0&fbrandid=95220&fpricesort=priceDescending&parentPage=family

i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

gotbbq

Get the best knives you can afford.  They will last many years.  I think it is better to get the few knives you want rather than the "boxed set" which sometimes comes with a few similar knives.  Don't forget the thin slicing blade for lox[^].

Rich

gotbbq

ChefBill

str1der,
I have to agree with the other guys about getting what you need rather than a set. I have a commercial kitchen/restraunt center close to me and It's ruined me. I buy mostly Forschner Knives, got a paring knife that cost $40, Chefs $80 etc... But they will last me a life time.. I never wash in dishwasher and protect like they were gold. Bought a Magnetic knife holder to keep them seperated and handy.

A box set like Chicago Cutlery is a great buy and will cut the hell out of you. Most of these knives have serrated blades and are hard to sharpen if need be. No matter what you choose just protect them and they'll serve you well. A good commercial knife is made by "Dexter-Russell". I just bought a 14" butcher knife for $29 made by D-R and it's great. You could dress out a cow with it. [:)]
There are always knives in box sets that you may never use or maybe once a year. A good "Fillet/Boning" knife is a must for a meat smoker.[:D]

ChefBill
If you can eat it, you can smoke it.
If you can eat it, Then You can smoke it

Bassman

I agree, a box set is not neccessary. I have a chef knife and a box full of Forshner boning knives from the meat packing days. Some are worn down pretty thin, but very, very sharp.I have a whet stone and steel and like to keep them that way[^][:)]

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

Phone Guy

Sometimes you can get good quality knives here on clearance. I bought my wife a set here.
//www.chefscatalog.com