New member from Waconia, MN

Started by TTNuge, December 31, 2009, 08:53:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TTNuge

Well thanks to a generous cash gift from my parents for Christmas I finally decided to get myself a Bradley smoker.... as well as a few toys, oops, tools.  In the past few days I've been fortunate enough to get an OBS, Auber Plug n Play PID, Maverick ET-73, and a half dozen boxes of misc bisquettes.  I'm still waiting on my Bubba Pucks as well as one of those small plastic storage units that will become home to the smoker on my deck. 

So far I got everything hooked up and the OBS was seasoned on Tuesday and then yesterday we took it on it's maiden smoke, made up a nice meal of Bacon wrapped Chicken breasts stuffed with ham and provolone cheese.  They turned out great and the family was impressed, took a bit longer than anticipated but since it was in the teens for temps yesterday I should have expected it.  Ended up having to throw them in the oven for the last 30 minutes or so and unfortunately most of the cheese melted and ran out but they were still excellent.

Up next, 2 racks of baby back ribs already rubbed down and sitting in the fridge waiting to go on in a few hours.  Should make for a nice New Years Even dinner.  Home made rub following the recipe archives from this site, sure smells good, can't wait to taste them, I plan on going very light on the sauce as I don't think it will be needed much.  Planning for about 2-3 hours of smoke, probably hickory for the majority, maybe a little apple mixed in, we'll see.

Love the forums, love the recipe archive, love the community and the sense of "family" around here.  Up next will be the addition of a second heating element to make recovery a little faster, it might be a challenge today considering the temps aren't supposed to get out of the single digits and they are talking about -15f below over night.  Picked up a beef tenderloin at the grocery store yesterday too, I know it won't be long before I find a good recipe and it finds it's wait into the OBS as well.

Thanks all,

Trent

HawkeyeSmokes

Welcome to the forum Trent!  ;D

It looks like your off to a great start with the news smoker.

Don't be afraid to finish those ribs in the oven if the cold weather is slowing you down to much. They turn out great by doing that.

Check out the recipe site! Old's Place

Keep us posted!
HawkeyeSmokes

KevinG

Welcome Trent - Looks like you're on the right path - got everything we could want and even got the pics up.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum TTNuge!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Paddlinpaul

Looking good Trent. I have 5 racks of baby backs in the freezer along with a 10lb turkey waiting to be done. not enough days in the week.
With my Bradley, no one tells me to quit smoking!

KyNola

Welcome Trent.  Love those bacon wrapped chicken breasts.  Well done on your part.  Sounds like you are off and running.

KyNola

TTNuge

I failed on the BBQ ribs as I didn't get any pics but once they hit the table there was nothing but silence as the family proceeded to stuff themselves full.  And after dinner the wife posted the following on her Facebook page so I'm guessing I did alright....

"just ate the best ribs ever in the history of man-kind. Happy New Year!!!"

Trent

HawkeyeSmokes

Way to go Trent!

At least get a picture of the bones, we love pictures.  :D
HawkeyeSmokes

MPTubbs

Allright Trent!

Keep the smoke roll'n! ;D
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

deb415611

sage03

"Holy Smoke" Batman ...that chicken looks awesome...Welcome to the forum ! 8)

ArnieM

Hi Trent and welcome to the forum.  Good looking chicken  :D

I did something pretty similar a while back.  I used goat cheese in the filling.  It has a higher melting point and so (usually) won't run out.  If you like the taste, give it a try next time.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.