anyone tried asiago cheese

Started by oguard, March 23, 2005, 04:24:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oguard

Just wondering if anyone has tried cold smoking asiago(sp?) cheese.
It might be a little strong but my neighbor wants to give it a try[:)]

<b><font face="Comic Sans MS">KEEP ON SMOKIN</font id="Comic Sans MS"></b>
<b><font face="Comic Sans MS">Mike</font id="Comic Sans MS"></b>
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

whitetailfan

Mike,
Sorry I have not tried asiago.  I dont even know what it tastes like.
However, you mention that you think it might be a bit strong - too strong if smoked because its a weak cheese, or too strong of a cheese.
If its the latter, then I highly recommend you try it.

The results of my cheese smoking, in summary, is thus - <font color="red">the stronger the cheese, the less the impact of the smoke overriding the basic taste of the cheese</font id="red">

I did some mozza, and have not done it again yet as I felt it was way too strong a smoke taste.  Now a lot of that was technique, but it emphasizes my point because under the same amount and flavour of smoke, the cheddar was excellent.

Not only do I think you will be OK if asiago is a strong cheese, your neighbour seems to be pushing you, so go for it.

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

oguard

WTF thanks for your response[:)].Looks like we will be going full smoke ahead[:D].I will let you know the results.

BigSmoker

The cheese Mike is talking is really hard.  Very much like parmesean.  I don't think(danger Will Robinson)it will absorb much smoke.  Keep us posted

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

psdubl07

I like Asiago but haven't tried smoking it.  Let us know how it turns out if you do it.

oguard

The asiago,monterey.and mozza turned out well[:p].I used 1 1/2 hours of cherry.I managed to cut the heat down with a bowl of ice.

Thunder Fish

Did you wrap with a t-shirt/cheescloth? going to try my first cheese tomorrow
Terry

oguard

Thunder fish,I didn't use any cloth or t-shirt just right on the rack and poured the smoke to it.I am going to try and get some time and cut some wholes in my lil chief and get some dryer hose to connect the two as posted on another thread.[;)]

Thunder Fish

I saw the "box" method for the Bradley,next week I'm going to build one out of Alum. at work and try the cheese thing again.
 Did 3lbs med cheedar and 1lb mozz.just took out and wrapped for tomorrows tasteing(cross fingers)The mozz never did sweat, the cheddar some what but after 2 1/2 hours of smoke the internal temp was 74 degrees when I pulled it out.I also had a 2 liter(1/2 gal) frozen jug of water above the cheese and ice in the catcher insuring that condensation was NOT dripping on the cheese.
Will follow up tomorrow with "keep or toss"
Terry [8D]

oguard

T Fish I had a little trouble keeping the heat down for 1 1/2 hrs let alone 2 1/2 hrs even with the ice it wanted to creep up.The bradley is such a versitile machine it is nice we have the option of keeping the smoke box and smoke generater seperate[:)].I live in the lower mainland of B.C. and our nights are getting quite mild this time of year so the next time I try the cheese it will be with the lil chief and smoke generater.[;)]

Thunder Fish

"frozen jug of water above the cheese and ice in the catcher"

Oguard I'm in Maple Ridge,at first I was measuring the Bradley internal temp than gave up after constant watching and door opening.Inserted the probe in the chedder itself and after 2 1/2 hrs the temp was around 74 to 76ish.Again not a lot of sweating at all in the drip pan "might" have been 1/4 teaspoon of cheese oil.
 Just tried a piece(cheddar) and the taste is a little overwhelming will let sit for another day and it still very moist.
 Keep ya posted [:p]

oguard

Well Terry,I am just in Coquitlam we will have to get together for a cold one and some smoked eats[:D][:D]

Thunder Fish

Thunder Fish

Two words "The MMMMMMMMMMMozzarilla" is the best.You all must try it [:D]

Thunder Fish

5 lb mild cheedar/5 lb mozza (full fat) starting with 1 Hick with alternating 3 cherry/3 pecan for "hopefully" 2 1/2 hrs.Only 1 hr to go,will post results next week as both are leaving for the flat lands Thursday night(aka Alberta)and they will not be ready for tasteing until then.
 Internal temp now is 62ish F .............[:p]
Terry