• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Internal Temp

Started by marauder11, December 31, 2009, 03:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marauder11

Just reading through a couple books rytek's book calls for 145 internal temp allot. Is this something that has been changed since it was published( I have the newest edition). 152 internal temp is a common given in this forum where did that come from. I can not see the 7 degrees making a big difference on final product. If anyone can give some insight to this just a curious.

dbondy

Hi marauder11, I'm still new at sausage making yet. But the last 4 batches I've done I brought the IT temp up to 152- 155, and had great results.
From what I read here it seems the 152IT temp is the way to go. Also I feel more comfortable with the 152 temp, to me 145 is a bit to low. I'm sure someone with more experience will be along soon. :)

NePaSmoKer

IT depends on what i am doing at the time.

Sticks i take to 145* because they are not as thick as larger sausages like summer or bologna

But its what your are ok with in the end  ;D

nepas

Habanero Smoker

As a rule, I generally will take the sausage up to 152°F, the USDA recommends 160°F. For the recipes that calls for 145°F in his book, check to see if they are free of poultry and pork products. The few I found that called for 145°F were all beef, or lamb, or a combination of both. I feel the 145°F is safe, but taking it to 152°F the sausage is still moist and gives you some added protection.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

wyogoob

Rytek's semi-cured sausage is listed at 145°, but smoked sausages, regular summer sausage and smoke-cured salami is still listed at 152°.
Life's been good to me so far.

Habanero Smoker

Thanks for that information. It is the semi-dry sausages that he uses the 145°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)