Brain Working OVERTIME

Started by ChefBill, March 23, 2005, 01:30:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChefBill

Being an engineer and country boy make a bad combination. I always seem to be trying new ideas on everything.[:(!] I've found that every BS users say that the lower racks are hotter than the upper due to being closer to the burning pucks <b>&</b> heating element. This creates a situation under certain circumstances that require rotating the upper & lower racks.
<b>HERE'S THE IDEA:</b> What would happen if you installed a small fan to circulate the air within the cabinet of the BS without affecting the flow thru the unit. "Kinda like a convection oven." It would have to be very low speed, motor outside with fan blade inside. All you need to do is disturb the air in a very small way without affecting the smoke flow exiting the BS.
Been thinking the logical place to locate the fan would be at the top in the back right hand corner. Fan could be vane type driven by low speed clock type motor.
<u><b>OK FOLKS: All of you think about this and voice your ideas & opinions.</b></u> [?]  ChefBill

If you can eat it, you can smoke it.
If you can eat it, Then You can smoke it

nsxbill

Has been discussion on this earlier.  Love to see someone come up with a stirring convection type device.  

Upside-regulated temp throughout

Downside:

1. Internal fan clogged with smoke residue
2. If mounted externally, outside air would cool cabinet
3. Don't know if the little lamp could keep up if cooler air brought inside even in minute quantity.

I want one if if comes to fruition!  It is the one thing the BS lacks in...regulated balanced temp to preclude shelf swapping.

I would like to see shaft through wall with fan blade on it that could be removed for running through dishwasher with the racks.

I talked with Shotgun Fred about this about 6 months ago to see if he could come up with something for electrical smokers in general.  Nothing back from him yet.

Bill

Addendum:  I just sent Shotgun Fred at thebbqguru.com to ask if he ever came up with a stirring device he said he would think about.  Will get back to you when he replies.

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

ChefBill

Bill,
My idea was to put the shaft thru the cabinet with a small silicone seal around the shaft. This would keep the motor outside and blade inside. Blade would need to be easy to remove for occasional cleaning. Fan should be made of Stainless Steel to facilitate cleaning with any cleaner.. Could be held by a small set screw. Needs to be easy maintenance.   ChefBill

nsxbill

That and a vibrating reed type fan was what we were also discussing.  I really don't even think the fan shaft would have to have a set screw if it just friction fit, it would probably work ok, as not looking for super revolutions, just slight stirring effect.  So when are you going to build it?

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

ChefBill

Really been thinking to the point Brain is hurting. Been looking at small slow speed motors already. Figuring 30 to 60 RPM should be fast enough just to stir up the air inside. Fan could be made like a paddle wheel, either 2 or 4 blades.. What do you think Bill??[?] The other Bill

PS: The BBQGuru sure isn't in a hurry to ship. Ordered a Guru/Raptor package Monday and they won't ship until Friday.

str1der

What if you just used a very low voltage speed controlable PC cooling fan? Maybe a 120mm. Then just have the wires exiting the smoker.You can get these pretty cheap online. If it gets to gunked up just replace it. You could just get a wall wart/power adaptor from Radio Shack to power it and here is a link to the type of speed controller I was talking about. I use one similar to this in my Home Theater PC so that I can slow down the fan.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/directron/fcontroller.html

psdubl07

While we're at it, can we mount beer and TV remote control holders on the side as well?  [:D] [:p]

ChefBill

STR1DER,
I thought about that but I don't think it would stand up to the heat. Have a feeling the upper limit of a computer fan would be 200º. If you decided to go to the upper limit of the BS, I'd hate to end up with a plastic tasting product.[:0] You might be able to use the blades off of a computer fan provided it was made out of composit material and not just plastic. I've got one around here somewhere and I might give it an oven test to see what temp it'll stand... I'd like one that would go to the BS limit.. (325º)  ChefBill

nsxbill

psdubl07

Don't you already have that done?  That is B.S. basic install just after you christen the smoker!

Bill

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ChefBill</i>
<br />I might give it an oven test to see what temp it'll stand...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Beavis: "Hey Butthead, let's throw some plastic stuff in the oven & see what happens! Hee-hee-hee-hee!"

Butthead: "Uh, huh-uh-huh-huh-huh, COOL!"

[:D][:D][:D]

Seriously, I've had the same thought in the past & look forward to your discoveries. I'm with nsxBill, build it & they will come. We might even be interested in marketing it for you.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

ChefBill

<b><i>Just hit on another Brain storm.</i></b> <b>A fan from one of those table top toaster/convection ovens.</b> It would be small and heatproof, It should be just about the right size.[:D][;)]
Been surfing for 1 hour looking to see if I could find a small appliance parts store that could supply one. <i>No luck so far.</i> [:(] Going to keep looking. These ovens are made by about 4-5 different companies.  ChefBill

<b>PS:</b> <i>GURU/RAPTOR will be here Monday..</i>[:p]