New Year's gumbo

Started by KyNola, January 01, 2010, 11:54:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

Starting the new year off right with a pot of gumbo.

First, you make a roux.  Equal parts of flour and oil cooked over med heat stirring constantly until you get the color of chocolate.

Next add the trinity, minced garlic, spices and saute until soft.

Add smoked turkey,pan sauteed chicken that had been dusted with cajun spices and browned andouille sausage.

Finally, add 2 quarts of smoked turkey stock.  Bring to a boil and then lower heat to a simmer.

There is no okra nor file powder added to the gumbo as I don't think it is needed.

NePaSmoKer

When i seen the heading i knew it could only be one person  ;D

Looks pretty dang good there buddy  ;D..................the holy trinity  ;D

I gotta break out the Andouille, chicken and get busy on a pot full. And yes your doing it the way its supposed to be done in cast iron  ;D I likes this Beaucoup with good friends, Its Bon temps  ;D

nepascoonass

KyNola

Yep, only things that ever get cooked in that pot are stock, gumbo or red beans and rice.  If you take a look at my spoon in the first pic you can see that my long handled wooden spoon has stirred a gumbo or two against that cast iron. :)

I used to have a roux whisk like KaHonu mentioned in an earlier thread and I liked it but I couldn't find one with a long enough handle to keep from burning my hand with hot roux. :o  My cajun buddy in Lafitte LA makes gumbo and jambalaya paddles out of cypress.  I got to get him to make me one.

KyNola

Pachanga

Kynola,

Looks like the right pot, the right roux, the right ingredients and the right chef.
Nice post.

Good luck and Cajun dishes,

Pachanga

KyNola

Thanks Pachanga.  There has got to be at least 2 million gumbo recipes out there and they're all just variations on the same theme.  This happens to be the way I like mine.

KyNola

HawkeyeSmokes

Looks great Ky.

And I bet it tastes even better!
HawkeyeSmokes

Ka Honu

Ky - Freeze and ship a sample to make my New Year as happy as the one I wish you.

deb415611

Wow, looks great KyNola! 

squirtthecat

I can almost smell it up here in IL!

deb415611

I found it, I found it  .......  KyNola's secret roux receipt :D   http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=8326.msg85934#msg85934

and as an added bonus.... Nepas secret gumbo receipt is in that same thread   ;D

In the freezer I have some smoked chicken, turkey tasso & andouille......    I might need to try this :)

pensrock

Looks great, I never allowed my roux to get that color. Next time i will for sure. One question, what is 'file powder'? I have seen it in recipes before but  never knew what it was or tasted like.

seemore

damm that looks great never done gumbo
seemore

Ka Honu

Quote from: pensrock on January 01, 2010, 04:15:31 PM... what is 'file powder'?

Pronounced "fee-lay" (and spelled with a little accent doohickey over the "e" that I don't know how to show here), it's a flavoring and thickening agent made from ground sassafras leaves.  When used, it's normally added to gumbo a short time before serving or sprinkled on the gumbo in the bowl.

KyNola

My learned friend Ka Honu is exactly right about the file powder. 

Deb- you absolutely need to give this a try.  Once you start your roux, you can't walk away from stirring it.  The "trinity" is diced onions, bell peppers and celery.  The spices in mine are basically salt and cayenne pepper or Tony Chacere's cajun spice mix.  Sometimes if it's not exactly hot enough, I'll add a favorite hot sauce.  It's all up to your particular taste.

Make it once and you're hooked.  Oh yeah, then's there's seafood gumbo..........duck and wild mushroom gumbo.......smoked ham hock and cabbage gumbo(killer!)........gumbo z herbes.....etc etc etc. :D

KyNola

NePaSmoKer