German Furtens

Started by seemore, January 01, 2010, 03:48:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

Thanks for this post I just got one of these types of pans as a gift; but by the looks, yours is far superior. When I use it I'll make sure the recipe you posted is the first one I try out.

My pan has less of an exotic :) name. It's just called Pancake Puffs.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Pachanga

Quote from: seemore on January 01, 2010, 05:46:18 PM
Scott said it was a family secret, but I pummeled him into submission.  ;)

Mrs.,

Way to go on the pummeling.  This needed to be published, otherwise your post would have just been a tease.  I enjoy regional cooking methods and the Germans have unique foods.  There were once a lot of small German communities in Texas (still are but diluted).  One of my Uncles was full German from a little community named New Brandenburg, Texas. In 1917, as anti German sentiment rose and as a statement of U. S. loyalty, it was renamed Old Glory, Texas.   My Uncle was one of the finest men I ever knew and a fantastic Uncle.

Thank you for the post and photos.  This is moving directly into my recipe files before the pummeling is forgotten and the delete button is pushed by Mr.  Now comes the pan search.  It would not surprise me if my aunt has one that no one wants.

Good luck and fine baking,

Pachanga

aha638

The pans are also known as Aebleskiver.  They can be found under cast iron cookware.

Al

ArnieM

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Pachanga

Quote from: aha638 on January 02, 2010, 07:27:41 AM
The pans are also known as Aebleskiver.  They can be found under cast iron cookware.

Al

Thanks Al and Arnie,

Found it.  http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Pro-Logic-Cast-Iron-Aebleskiver-Pan/dp/B00063RXQA

I have over thirty cast iron pieces.  It is my cooking utensil 98 % of the time.   Lodge is my favorite cast iron by far and is worth the difference in price but here is another source.  Notice that the Lodge has free shipping.  

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Pro-Logic-Cast-Iron-Aebleskiver-Pan/dp/B00063RXQA

And thanks again to Mrs Seemore for pummeling and posting.

Pachanga

seemore

Wow - I remember having aebleskiver in college at a Renaissance Faire.  Danish for apple cake, I believe.
I am sure they are pretty much made in every country in Europe, and have a unique name for them.
Although, I have to tell ya, Nun's Farts is by far the CUTEST.....  ;)
Habs, Scott's sister told us about the pancake puff pan, and that brought out the old cast iron furten pan.

So, Rensho, I have to ask - as I only took one semester of German in college - does furten mean what I think it means in German?????

Mrs

3rensho

Hi Seemore Mrs.,

No, unfortunately Furten means nothing in German (probably a mangled translation somewhere along the line).  If you go into a bakery  (Bäckerei here) and ask for "Furten" they will stare at you and not know what you want.  In north Germany these delicious morsels are Nonenfurzen, Nuns farts.  In southern Germany the dialect changes and they add a diminutive ending so they become Nonnenfürtzle.  Some places Nonnenfürtzchen.  They are light, sweet and delicious no matter what one calls them.  Thanks for the post.  I'm gonna give your recipe a whirl as I haven't had these since our last trip to nordrhein westfalen.   
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Habanero Smoker

After further reading my instructions that came with my pan, it is also call an Ebleskiver pan; that is another Danish version of this; but I'm going to call it a Furten.

I hope to try that recipe in a couple of days.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

NePaSmoKer

Tiny Tim

Wasn't really missing them until I saw this post....haven't had any for about 10 years.  Grandma always made them starting in November and we had them for their anniversary, Christmas, New Years, and any other time we gathered at their house during that time period.  She passed away in 2002 (October), and not sure if we had them for the 2001 season or not.

Around here, they're cooked in a pot of oil rather than a pan like that.  I always used them as a "sugar delivery device".

Habanero Smoker

I will finally get around to making some today. I'm going to cut the recipe in half. Since I use skim milk I have to run out and get some whole milk (skim milk tends to give baked goods a bluish tint). I'm not a raisin person so I may leave them out.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on January 08, 2010, 02:08:52 AM
I will finally get around to making some today. I'm going to cut the recipe in half. Since I use skim milk I have to run out and get some whole milk (skim milk tends to give baked goods a bluish tint). I'm not a raisin person so I may leave them out.
Habs,
Try substituting Craisins for regular raisins. I prefer the dried cranberries to grapes you may enjoy them as well
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

squirtthecat

Golden raisins are quite good as well.  Very different taste vs the regular ones..

3rensho

QuoteAround here, they're cooked in a pot of oil rather than a pan like that.

True, a lot I've had in Germany were deep fried.  Either way spells delicious.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Caneyscud

God made fried dough and aebleskivers.  My Mom's maiden name is Voges, lived in Seguin - one of those Texas German settlements, not far from New Braunfels - another German settlement so quite familiar with them.  My Mom's mom didn't make them much - she preferred making fried pies (yowzers - fried in lard), but I was able to find them lots of places.  Wursfest used to have booths you could buy them.  A Pancake House in Aggieland used to fix them - and were a staple late night snack - they're not bad with a longneck!  at least not when I was 19.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"