German Furtens

Started by seemore, January 01, 2010, 03:48:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakville smoker

I always thought a "fart" was gaseous
I guess its different for a nun and maybe thats why they need the habit !
Could not resist....  never really wanted to eat a fart but there is always a first time
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

Habanero Smoker

Well I did make these, and decided to go with the raisins, but craisins sound good for next time. I was surprised that I liked the raisin that were in them. Here are a couple of pictures.

I got the pan as a gift, and I don't know where it was purchased from. The pan I got came with skewers (or turning sticks), and injector to inject jelly, pot holder and canister to dust powdered sugar, and a brush. The brush is used to reapply oil the wells. I liked the jelly filled ones, but the injector was almost worthless. The top would come off every time you used the plunger. I had to hold on to the base and top when I depressed the plunger.

The ones on the plate indicate my learning curve. The first ones on the left I didn't use enough batter or cook them long enough, the center ones are more like what they should be like, the ones on the right are injected with apricot jelly. The large one in the lower left I call Saturn, is one I purposely overfilled the well to see what would happen. Also there is a learning curve on flipping them. First I tried a fork, then I tried the turning sticks, but the best method for me was using both the fork and turning stick.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Quarlow

That is very cool Habs thanks for being the pioneer on this. Definately something worth trying.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

ArnieM

They look good Habs, especially the apricot filled one.  Maybe some raspberry jam would go good too.  Maybe a sprinkle of confectioner's sugar?

I've been getting fatter and broker since I found this forum.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Quarlow

How about a dip or roll in sugar and cinnamon?
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Tenpoint5

Them sure look like I could a couple dozen in a sitting! good thing I am loosing some weight and I can hold myself back probably only eat 1-2
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

I have to thank the Seemores. If they didn't start this post, that pan probably would have never been used.

I only had apricot jam, but a lot of types of fillings can be used such chocolate syrup, marshmallow fluff etc. Sugar & cinnamon or confectioner's sugar toppings also sound good. In the recipe book that came with the pan, they had chocolate topping with sprinkles. Then there are recipes that contain cheese or meat, but I want to start off the pan with this recipe.

I finished the plate by pouring syrup on them. Half a recipe made about 35, but I'm not sure if my pan wells were as large as the one the Seemores have.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

seemore

Habs, those look amazing!  And the one you called "Saturn" is actually how they are supposed to look when using our pan.
I think you did a much better job at turning them than I did!
I might have to find some kind of stick to use for turning them in addition to the fork.
I love the addition of the jam to the furten too.........I may have to get the pan out again and soon!
Mrs

Habanero Smoker

The sticks are nothing more the 10" bamboo skewers. Thanks again for the recipe, now I know I will be using that pan more often.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

seemore

When did you inject the fillings?  After you flipped them in the cooker, or immediately after removing them from the pan?
mrs

Habanero Smoker

I injected them after they fully cooled down. The apricot preserves was a little thick so I microwave a small amount for about 10 seconds to make it more fluid. Next time I'm going to use my pastry bag to inject, that injector that came with the pan is useless. Also I replace the brush that came with it, with a silicone pastry brush.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Caneyscud

Habs, those look tasty.  Might fine eats.  One other way I've had them served is dipped in honey  and dipped in honey and rolled in ground pecans and sprinkled with powdered sugar.  Sinfully decadent!!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"