First Turkey

Started by Paddlinpaul, January 01, 2010, 05:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paddlinpaul

I just put my 9lb turkey in a brine of 1.5 US gallons of water with 1.5 cups of kosher salt completely dissolved. I plan to brine it until 11am, remove it from the brine and rinse it well. I will let it air dry for about 1 hour then start smoking in maple. What times and temps should I have in mind. I have a meat thermometer and will brown the skin in the oven when near completion.
Any input is appreciated.
With my Bradley, no one tells me to quit smoking!

KevinG

Something sounds a little off. Was there enough water to completely cover the bird? I needed about 3 gallons for mine. You might want to add some sodium nitrite to the solution too if you plan on cooking it below 200 degrees F. For me I like a brine of about 21 degrees which would be 3 gallons of water, 1 1/2 cups salt, 255 grams of Cure #1, and 255 grams of brown sugar.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Paddlinpaul

At 9 lbs it is a pretty small turkey. I have it in a cooler that holds 14 cans. I mixed up the brine this afternoon, maybe 2 gallons. I put in 1/2 cup of the salt per 2 quarts of water. In the cooler the brine is about an inch over the top of the turkey. I weighted down the turkey with a ceramic bowl because it was floating in the brine.
I read sugar only helps with the browning and as I plan to brown in the oven anyway I didn't bother with it. I plan at smoking for 4 hours at approx 225 - 250F. I will then bring the IT to 165 in the oven,

KyNola

Paul,
You're on the right track.  I would be using a smoke/cook temp of 250 on a turkey.  Make sure your vent is 100% open as poultry holds a lot of moisture and you want it to escape quickly.

KyNola

KevinG

Doesn't sound too bad, the sugar also helps cut some of the salt flavor too. I guess I must have a bigger brine bucket than you. I tried using ziplock bags, but they always seem to leak. Good plan on the IT. Don't forget to let it warm up some before putting in the smoker or it might add to your cook time some.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Paddlinpaul

Either the weatherman is full of crap or Mother Nature has a bad sense of humor.  Two days ago it was looking like great smoking weather here. Turkey thawed and brined. I put it on at 12:30 in a windy snowfall. I have sheltered it the best I can and can't get the tremp above 160F. I put 12 pucks in, when they are gone I guess it is going in the oven.

ArnieM

Hi PP,

Sounds like the smoke is almost done by now.  I'd get it into the oven.  A 160 cabinet temp isn't going to get you to an IT of 165.  325-350 should finish it up nicely.

I don't think I've ever seen a 9 pound turkey.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Paddlinpaul

I still have a couple more pucks to go. I just went and bought a cabinet the same as being discussed in
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=13500.new;topicseen#new
The vent is fully open and the doors are slightly ajar to let the smoke and moisture out. Hopefully this will help raise the cabinet temp. I will then put it in the oven in an hour or so when all the pucks are gone.

ArnieM

The cabinet:  I have a similar one.  My OBS didn't live in there all of the time.  It blew over twice.  Now I have plastic shards all over the deck and it is pretty well totaled.  Advice:  Anchor it somehow.

I'd get the turkey into the oven.  Forget the smoke.  You don't want to keep an IT of 75-90 degrees for very long.
-- Arnie

Paddlinpaul

Bringing it now. Thanks

Paddlinpaul

Here are the results of today's attempt.

I think 4 hours of smoke (cherry) was too much. May try the sugar next time as suggested, I found it a bit salty also.

I had an empty shelf so I tried some ABT. They turned out well

Tenpoint5

Looks like it turned out rather well
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Paddlinpaul

Hey 10.5 I just saw your signature and thought you should check out this site:
http://www.republicofbacon.com/en/Default.aspx

ArnieM

Looks good PP.  The turkey looks well cooked based on how far the drumstick meat was pulling back.  And ABTs - I love 'em.  Next time I'll make up a big batch and try a vac and freeze for days like today; 16oF, light snow and wind gusting over 40 MPH.

You should probably give your smoker a dry run to try to figure out why the cabinet temp wouldn't go up.
-- Arnie

Habanero Smoker

Your turkey does look good.

I just got a chance to read your original post. I see you left out the sugar. Sugar not only helps with browning but take the edge off the salt taste, making the brined product seem less salty.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)