• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Howdy from Spangle, WA

Started by PhilC, January 03, 2010, 06:45:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhilC

New Bradley owner here, got ours, a digital 4 rack, the week before Thanksgiving. Been catching a lot of nice rainbow trout lately and wanted to try smoking them for some variety. ;D

I used "Peter's Wet Brine" recipe from the Bradley's Volume one cookbook and they turned out nice. So, have been lurking here searching for more recipes and info and decided it was time for a proper introduction.

I have a question too, what is the realistic low temp I can use my smoker in? I ran a batch of rainbows through last night and couldn't get the smoker to heat up over 85° and that was with the smoke generator and oven both on. After the smoke generator shut off, the tower temp eventually dropped to about 50° at which point I pulled the racks and finished them in my wife's oven. Outside air temp was 37° when I started and 34° when I pulled the racks out of the smoker. Not the best finishing option, lowest I could get the oven to go was 170° and I just guessed at how long to leave the fillets in the oven. I did them for half the recommended "cook" time in the recipe, but turns out that was too long, I now have fish jerky and the whole house smells like Cherry wood smoke this morning. :D

And to answer the question that will surely be asked, "Where the heck is Spangle?" About 17 miles south of Spokane. ;D
Phil

HawkeyeSmokes

Welcome to the forum PhilC!

Check out the recipe site. Old's Place

You should be able to reach much higher temps than you did.

Check that your power cords are seated firmly.

Also make sure that you are plugging into a circuit that is not being used by other things. And if using an extension cord, keep it short as you can plus use a heavy duty one.

Keeping the smoker out of the wind helps to.

Edit: rereading your post, it sounds like the smoke generator only might have been heating.
HawkeyeSmokes

MPTubbs

How many times did you "peek"?

When you "peeked" was the oven element glowing red?

Mike.
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

Paddlinpaul

I have the original and it was in the mid teens here yesterday with lots of wind and I got mine up to 160. I cold smoked some salmon and just the smoke generator heat up my cabinet to 85 or 90 when the outside temp was just below freezing with little or no wind. As Hawkeye stated, sounds like only the SG was heating.
With my Bradley, no one tells me to quit smoking!

PhilC

Thanks for the prompt replies. Some additional info, no wind yesterday just clear and cold. Also, no extension cords, I plug it directly to an outdoor outlet on its own circuit.

I wondered if the oven element was coming on since the temp was so low, however, I did notice the oven element glowing a dull orange when I pulled the racks.

I'll try re-seating the power cords today and see what that does.

Only peeked once during the smoking process, and that was at what should have been the halfway point, when I moved racks top to bottom and front to back.

Will try HawkeyeSmokes suggestion and post back later today. ;)

Thanks for the help!
Phil

MPTubbs

I bet only the SG was getting juice.

My 6 racker does about the same thing when I only have the SG on.

Loose connection or bad oven element.
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

PhilC

Well, all the cables were connected, but I pulled and reseated them just for gee whiz. Fired up the oven only and in less than 10 minutes the oven temp was over 100°. Decided to let it run for 90 minutes just to make sure it gets to temp and stays there. Current outside air temp is 38° so it's real close to what I started my batch at last night.

If this happens again, I'll have to contact Bradley and find out why. Shouldn't have any problems if the cables are plugged in correctly and I keep my Bradley covered when not in use too.

Thanks for the nice welcome and quick advice, much appreciated. 8)
Phil

Tenpoint5

If your not unpluggin the cords every time. You should be good Phil.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

aces-n-eights

Welcome to the fun, PhilC, and I know where Spangle is!  We live in Alaska, but are visiting family in Spokane for a few weeks.

Sounds like the guys have you headed in the right direction - good luck!
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

deb415611

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum PhilC!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KevinG

Welcome PhilC - and heck with where is Spangle I don't even know where Spokane is.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

PhilC

Quote from: KevinG on January 03, 2010, 06:08:06 PM
Welcome PhilC - and heck with where is Spangle I don't even know where Spokane is.
300 miles east of Seattle and about 34 miles west of Couer d'Alene, ID. Way out west. ;)

Quote from: aces-n-eightsWelcome to the fun, PhilC, and I know where Spangle is!  We live in Alaska, but are visiting family in Spokane for a few weeks.
And I know where AK is too! 8) Spent a year in (4/92 - 4/93) Galena while still active duty USAF. Met a super nice couple there and my family and I went to visit them in '97, a couple years after I retired, when they were living on Hoonah outside of Juneau. They later moved to Soldotna and somehow we lost touch with them during the move. :(

My wife and I talk of taking a fishing vacation to AK someday, we'll have to do it soon, we aren't getting any younger. LOL
Phil

Slamdunk

A high temp of 100 degrees indicates there is definitely something wrong with your set up. I'm up in Vancouver BC not too much north of you,and our external temps today were very similar- about 8 degrees.
Did a batch of Baby back ribs today and got a high temp of 204 degrees.
After re-reading your post I can't figure out why you aren't getting higher temps but do know you should be getting up above 200 .

Anybody else have suggestions ?