Hello from Tokyo

Started by Hooner, January 05, 2010, 01:34:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooner

I live in an apartment in downtown Tokyo, and miss the taste of smoked BBQ from my childhood in Texas. Unfortunately, while there are many great restaurants in Tokyo, there is no "real" smoked BBQ. I want to buy a 4-rack Bradley Smoker on my next visit back to the US, and bring it with me to Tokyo. The electrical voltage is fine.

However, I'm concerned about whether the smoker will disturb the neighbors in my apartment building. I have a balcony of about 4x2 meters attached to my apartment that is covered. We are on the 4th floor of an 8-story building. There are many restaurants in the adjacent buildings, so the area is always full of the smells of cooked food. I am wondering about the smoke output when it is cooking for an extended period of time? Is the smoke rather heavy? Does anyone else have any experience using the smoker in an apartment building or an urban environment? Any advice would be appreciated.

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum Hooner!

The smoke is not heavy. However, here in the states many apartment buildings have bylaws regarding cooking on balconies.

I would think that as you could do it.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

car54

Welcome Hooner

I do not think the smoke will be a problem. As you said there are all type of smells anyways. I am sure your neighbors would appreciate a sample.

I agree with Flbentrider about checking the laws. The smoker is not that different then a toaster, in fact it draws less power. When you ask for permission, be creative in how you describe it.

Brad

OU812

Welcome to the fun Hooner

The Bradley puts out a very light amount of smoke compaired to an wood burning smoker and only needs to smoke for 3 to 4 hr the rest of the time the smoker in just an small oven and only cookin at a slow and low temp.

Check your by laws and let us know how things work out for you.

KevinG

Welcome Hooner - I don't think it would be a huge issue either. I try to leave my arcadia door open when smoking so I can smell it - love the smell - but it rarely wafts into the house. I doubt there'd be enough for your neighbors to complain.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

KyNola

All the way from Tokyo?  WOW Hooner, welcome aboard.  Like the others, I don't think the smoke would be obtrusive to your neighbors, particularly with the many smells coming from the surrounding restaurants.

Get you a Bradley and join in the fun.

KyNola

Quarlow

Hey Hooner welcome to the forum. I also don't think you will have a problem. As OU said you don't smoke for long, in fact most smokes are only 1 to 2 hrs. 3 or 4 hrs is a long smoke used for butts and briskets or even salmon but most things like ribs and chicken or jerky for that matter only get 2hrs. Good luck.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Caribou

Welcome to the forum Hooner  :)
The smoke that comes out of the Bradley is pretty light.
I think it should blend right in with the other cooking smells
Carolyn

Ka Honu

Konnichiwa!

Most of us don't live in an area with the population density of downtown Tokyo and have no idea of the restrictions you may face.  I'd recommend you research any such restrictions and when planning your next trip to the US, find someone who has a Bradley and visit them for a demo.  You'll probably also want to make a list of the "must have" accessories (including bisquettes) and add them to your shopping list.  SWMBO's daughter lived in Osaka for a year and shipping costs from the US were a major factor in shopping and gift decisions.

hal4uk

Welcome Hooner!  Good luck with getting/using a Bradley...

Not to suggest anything, but...
A Bradley ain't real big..  Maybe you could disguise it as a planter or something?   ;D
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

La Quinta

Hooner...kool..Tokyo..wow...I agree with all of the above...but dang...how fascinating to have a soon to be smoker in Tokyo...the seafood...WOW!!!  :)

3rensho

Quote...the seafood...WOW!!!

Ah, smoked Unagi Donburi.  Heaven in a bowl.  Welcome Hooner.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Habanero Smoker

Hi Hooner;

Welcome to the forum.

A few years back there was a member who lived in either Tokyo, or another metropolitan area. Unfortunately I can't recall who his or her forum name. That memeber had the same question, and I can't remember if there was any followup.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ArnieM

Welcome to the forum Hooner.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Hooner

Many thanks for your warm comments and advice. I will be returning briefly to the US in March, and am planning to return to Japan with a Bradley smoker. I expect that the bylaws for my apartment building include restrictions about cooking on the balcony, particularly to prevent fires, but since the Bradley smoker has no open flame, I think that it is should be safe. I would never want to use a regular grill on an apartment balcony. It may be difficult to make this distinction clear to the company that manages my building. I am planning to go ahead and use the smoker on my apartment balcony, and hope that it doesn't attract too much attention from the neighbors. Sometimes BBQ requires desperate measures. I will report back in April, once I get my smoker up and working.