Backwoods Jerky

Started by NePaSmoKer, January 09, 2010, 03:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

Neighbor wants to ship some jerky to her son in South Dakota, wants salty kind. Yeah ok.

Cutting up 5 lbs of london broil

2 1/2 lbs at a time in the Reveo for 20 mins.

Sweet35th

Is there something wrong with me, if when I look at all that gorgeous meat I start to think  "No time to cook, eat now!!!"
A wise friend once told me.   "If you sit on the couch all day long drinking beer, your an alcoholic...  If you sit in front of the smoker all day long drinking beer,  your a hero!"

KyNola

NePaSmoKer

HawkeyeSmokes

That sure looks good Nepas!
HawkeyeSmokes

Sweet35th

You slice that all by hand?
A wise friend once told me.   "If you sit on the couch all day long drinking beer, your an alcoholic...  If you sit in front of the smoker all day long drinking beer,  your a hero!"

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Sweet35th on January 09, 2010, 06:49:12 PM
  You slice that all by hand?

Yup

This way i know there are no metal shavings in it from some sort of cutting blades. Mix all my sausage by hand too.

KyNola

And still has all his fingers! :D  Of course he does all that slicing before the Everclear or Maker's makes an appearance! :P ;)

KyNola

Sweet35th

Damn, far more skill with the blade than I have....Id get about 10% done and get pissed and say, "well looks like its jerky nuggets for everyone!"

Sweet35th

Speaking of nuggets,  have you ever tried it?   Kinda like Jack Links nuggets?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Sweet35th on January 09, 2010, 07:02:49 PM
Speaking of nuggets,  have you ever tried it?   Kinda like Jack Links nuggets?

Yeah i have.

Make em yourself, they will be better

Sweet35th

How long did you do them for, and what temp?   (sorry to take this so far off topic)

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Sweet35th on January 09, 2010, 07:10:07 PM
   How long did you do them for, and what temp?   (sorry to take this so far off topic)

I do the nuggets starting at 140* with 4 pucks of wood. Then bump to 150* for 2 hrs. Taste on at this point. If its not done bump heat to 165* for 1 1/2 hrs. Taste again, at this point they might not look done but they will be because they are not a thick mass of meat. If your not satisfied bump the heat to 175* until they are to you liking. Try not to exceed 180* in any jerky making.

When your smoking jerky you do have your vent full open? And no water in the pan?

Sweet35th

For this batch of Elk,  yes vent full open, no water in pan.     First  batch I smoked too long before removing pucks... A lil too much smoke.  Second batch is just about done, and the samples are VERY good IMO.