Grilled chicken stew

Started by Up In Smoke, January 10, 2010, 01:04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Up In Smoke

It's kinda chilly here today so i decided to make some stew.
this is just something i threw together and haven't made for a while.
i used about a 4 quart stock pot and still had a little room left.
2- 2.25 oz packages of snack sized carrots halved.
1 cup celery-ribbed and cut into about 1/4 in slices (about 4 stalks)
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 cup course chopped sweet onion
3-14oz. cans of swansons chicken broth. (low sodium)
1 1/2 lbs of small red taters, i halved the small ones and cut the larger ones into thirds
6 boneless skinless chicken thighs. (5 i shared one with the dog) i dusted the chicken with
cavender's greek seasoning, cooked them on the grill, let them cool and then cut into bite size pieces.

toss the veggies into the pot and cover with chicken broth.
bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer until tender throughout.
the time on this can vary, it took me about an hour.
reduce heat again and add chicken.
IMPORTANT! at this point you are only keeping the stew hot. you can use a crock pot on low for this.
if you bring the stew to even a light simmer after you add the chicken it will cook apart or get stringy.

Also, you will notice that i did not add any seasonings to the veggies, this is because the stew will pick up
all of the seasoning and the grill flavor from the chicken.

you can add salt/pepper later if needed.

veggies cut and ready for the pot

resting happily in the pot waiting for broth

grillin' the yard bird

bite size chicken

And finally, keepin it hot.

If these photos are too big please contact me, as some of you know i have been out of the game for a while and
i cannot remember how i used to size them.

2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

KevinG

Pics look great, makes me feel like I'm eating them right here at the computer. I got the same problem with photobucket. It re-sizes only the pictures it wants to. Being on dial-up makes it ten times worse because I have to wait at the edit screen for about 1/2 hour before it finally loads up. Then I do the re-size thing and it doesn't take. I don't realize it until after I post.  >:(
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Gizmo

Quote from: KevinG on January 10, 2010, 01:22:00 PM
I got the same problem with photobucket. It re-sizes only the pictures it wants to. Being on dial-up makes it ten times worse because I have to wait at the edit screen for about 1/2 hour before it finally loads up. Then I do the re-size thing and it doesn't take. I don't realize it until after I post.  >:(
You can select the size of the photo before the upload.  In the Upload Images area, there is a link for "(more options)".
I use the large 640 x 480 picture size.  I believe the picture would upload from what ever size is on your computer but the result that would go to the posted site would be the smaller size.  Unfortunatly, using the resize option will not save you time on the upload.  You will need to resize on your computer first to benefit on upload time from a smaller file size. 
Photobucket always resizes mine correctly using their options.  My pictures are always larger than 640 x 480 so it always has to downsize.  I suspect if the files are smaller, they would not try to upsize them as the quality would degrade.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

KevinG

Excellent - thanks for the tip. I found the more options link and hopefully I won't have to deal with that anymore.

Thanks!
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

classicrockgriller

UIS, stew looks delicious and it is that time of year.

You are a good man for sharing your chicken with your best buddy.

Thanks for the tip on keeping the temp down so as not to make shredded

chicken stew.