• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

venison pastrami

Started by clebba, January 13, 2010, 10:46:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clebba

I am going to attempt a venison pastrami using a 2 lb top round of venison and following  jhurlbur's recipe. ANY ADVICE? I have halved the recipe. I do not have an injector so i will have to soak it longer.

Also, if i don't have any whole cloves, what is the equivalent using ground cloves? how many tsp ground clove equals of 1 tsp of whole cloves?

FLBentRider

How thick is the roast.

It is the thickness to a large degree that determines how long you need to cure.

I would say use 1/2 as much ground cloves.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

clebba

it is 1 1/2 Inch thick.

Also, I read in another post that the amount of cure #1 to use in brines is greater than amount to use when adding it directly to meat. is that true? I hope so. I used 3 tsp (1 1/2 oz) as per the recipe (halved).

FLBentRider

That is true for most cures.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

You are doing fine. When using a wet brine, you use more cure #1, then when using it in a dry cure (dry brine). Three teaspoons should be closer to one ounce, but the amount you used is about the amount I would use for 2 quarts.

Continue to follow jhurlbur's recipe and brine it for 3 days. I would flip the meat over daily and stir up the brine. After brining I would slice a piece off the end, pan fry to see if it is too salty, if it is you can soak in cold water for 30 - 60 minutes. I also like to "rest" my cure meats for 24 hours. It is not necessary, but after removing it from the cure, the concentration of cure is closest to the surface. So during the rest period it continues to cure until equilibrium is obtained throughout the meat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

clebba

Thanks to both of you, I appreciate the input.

One more question (looking ahead to smokin' time)...what does FTC mean? As in "FTC for 2 hours with a few ounces of apple juice or water."

Quarlow

FTC.Foil wrap your meat,Towel wrap the package and stick the whole works into a small Cooler and let it relax for up to 5 hours or so. It will stay hot for along time. Oh and if you are splashing with juice use a double wrap to prevent leaking.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Habanero Smoker

I was just reading the smoking/cooking directions. I haven't cooked venison in a long time, but you may want to use a internal temperature of 165°F, that is the temperature I use when I make pastrami.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

clebba

First I want to thank you for the advice on panfrying a sample piece. Next I want to curse you for the advice on panfrying a sample piece. The roast might not make it to the smoker. That has got to be the most wonderful tasting thing I have put past my lips in a long time. Now I gotta wait for it to rest and then wait for it to smoke? I don't think I can do it. I have a fresh batch of kimmelwick rolls waiting for a sammie. I am tempted at this time to start the other roast which is earmarked for pastrami. But I will try my patience and wait untill this one is completely done. Thanks for the advice. I fear my keyboard may short out if I continue drooling like this.

FLBentRider

One of the things I learned early in this "hobby" was to make twice as much as I thought I needed.

That way there is something left after the snacking.

I also learned to stage my projects so they don't all finish at once.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

I forgot to warn you about the possible addiction.  ;D

FLB has given both of us some good advice. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.

clebba

the results are in! (in my tummy that is)

here is the pastrami after FTC with a nice Black & Tan

a look inside

a nice sammie on kimmelwick with some provolone and spicy brown mustard and another Black & Tan.

Now all I need is a hockey game to watch.
(by the time I have posted this, I have already polished off two of these babies and am eyeing-up a third)
Thanks to all for the help...second one will start tomorrow

Quarlow

My god that looks so awesome. Nice job there clebba.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Habanero Smoker

That looks fantastic. Did you follow jhurlbur's recipe exactly? What was your final internal temperature? The reason I ask is that we don't have a venison pastrami recipe on the recipe site and would like to post your results and use your picture.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

clebba

for the most part I followed jhurlbur's recipe but slightly modified.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=154&highlight=pastrami

2 lb venison top round (mine was about 1.5 inches thick)

2 qts water
7 tbls kosher salt
3 tsp cure #1
3 tbls powdered dextrose
3 bay leaves crumbled
1 tsp whole cloves
1 tsp rosted garlic powder
1 tsp whole juniper berries
1 tsp whole black peppercorns

prepared brine as per jhurlburs recipe (steps 1-4,6)
I soaked for three days turning meat over every day and stirred the brine.
panfried a sample peice (no adjustment needed)
drained brine and let rest 24 hrs

used jhurlbur's rub recipe ver batum

smoked 3 hrs at 200 degrees (I used hickory and mesquite...wishing iI had some applewood)
continued at 200 degrees to IT of 180
FTC for 3 hours with splash of apple juice)

I would have liked it a wee bit drier, but it was still very delicious.

as far as the sandwhich part, I used kimmelwick rolls (anyone originally from or currently in Western NY will know what these are. I can provide a recipe if needed), provolone cheese and  spicy brown mustard.