• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

I need to pick some brains

Started by bigcatdaddy, January 14, 2010, 08:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigcatdaddy

I'm sure this has been discussed in previous threads, but I can't seemed to find it.  I'll be cooking some butts for a group of 40 guys.  The question is, how many pounds of meat does a average butt yield?  I'm planning on a 1/2 pound of meat per guy.  I'm thinking about doing them ahead of time.  Pulling the meat and vac packing it down and putting it in the freezer till the meeting which is on the 29th of this month.  What do you guys and gals reccommend?

Thanks
BCD

squirtthecat

I usually see a 30% shrinkage from the original weight to the FTC'd weight.

Maybe 4 8-9 pound butts - at least?

classicrockgriller

My thoughts on the amount, taking into consideration there will be other things to eat along with the pork

and that you are feeding "guys" and that it is gonna be so good they will eat more than they should, I think:

1/3 lb per sammie X 2 sammies per person + 1/3 lb waste and shrinkage = 1 lb uncooked per person x 40 = 40lbs

of butts.

squirtthecat

Quote from: classicrockgriller on January 14, 2010, 10:41:03 AM
My thoughts on the amount, taking into consideration there will be other things to eat along with the pork

and that you are feeding "guys" and that it is gonna be so good they will eat more than they should, I think:

1/3 lb per sammie X 2 sammies per person + 1/3 lb waste and shrinkage = 1 lb uncooked per person x 40 = 40lbs

of butts.

I concur.    Maybe vacuum seal in 5 pound increments - so in case you guess high, you can always refreeze the extra one for your own use.

For reference, this was the meat from a 9 pound butt in 2 vac bags.   Roughly 3 pounds each when all said and done.

A 5 pound bag won't take up too much room in the freezer.

FLBentRider

As much as you can get in the smoker!

;D ;D

The math of 1 uncooked pound per person is what I calculate with.

I can get ~32lbs in my OBS.

To do ~64lbs - I smoke the first four butts for four hours -> transfer to oven. Smoke the next four butts -> leave in Bradley. Use FTC to stage the first four.

That is the most that I can do without cooking ahead and re-heating.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

bigcatdaddy

Thanks gentelmen!!  I was just kinda guessing 30% loss.  I'm with ya FLB...since I'm doing butts I'm just gonna stack it full!!!!  Any leftovers will be coming to Big Daddies house.  I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid!!! ;)

FLBentRider

It's always better to have leftovers than hungry guests and nothing left to serve.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Caneyscud

30% is usually good for boneless, but with a bone in it can go 40% or a little higher
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Habanero Smoker

I also generally see a loss of 35% - 40% with bone-in butts; on occasion 45% if they are particularly fatty.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

squirtthecat

I need to weigh mine next time...  I was just going by the size in the pan - but I could believe that 40-45% loss is possible.

hal4uk

BCD... I'm gonna take special note of something CRG mentioned already...
Take into account the SIDE DISHES.  You're not going to have just pork sammies, right?

Also, even with a group of all guys - with FORTY - some may not be the pork fans the rest of us are..
(it might even be against someone's religion)

With that many, I would do at least one more "meat thing" (wings are always a hit)...
And provide a big assortment of side dishes (that way everyone will find plenty of something they'll enjoy).

So, I would adjust the pork butt math accordingly. 
That said, it does freeze real well, and you don't wanna run out of the "star of the show"
(so don't adjust too much)
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

squirtthecat

Plan for the worst, freeze and eat the rest!

Maybe do a medium/large sized chuck roast for some 'pulled beef'.  (it's good..)

classicrockgriller

Last two butts I did together weighted a tad over 19lb's and I got a tad under 12 1/2lb's of pulled pork.

But maybe it was because I had two lbs of slather on them. ;D

Paddlinpaul

With my Bradley, no one tells me to quit smoking!