• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pancetta

Started by carnie1, January 14, 2010, 05:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevinG

That came out great. Were you able to find touch up paint at home depot for the stove - I chipped mine in two places.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

OU812

Looks good so far, now the fun part, waiting.

I've been wanting to make some pancetta for quite some time now, cant wait to see your finished product.

carnie1

Quote from: KevinG on January 27, 2010, 04:45:41 AM
That came out great. Were you able to find touch up paint at home depot for the stove - I chipped mine in two places.
Yep, all fixed  ;D

carnie1

Pancetta is done, decided to pull it today and heres how it turned out, This was in the curing cabinet for 4 weeks.

Casper gave his seal of approval so its vac bagged and in the freezer

Tenpoint5

Very nice indeed Carnie. How did it taste?
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

That looks grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrEAT!

Now I really want some.

carnie1

ExpatCanadian

Looks great Carnie1!  I like that yours has a lot more fat marbling through it.  My own was far too lean I think.  I mean, more meat is good of course, but the fat is also a large part of the experience with anything like bacon, pancetta, guanciale etc. The taste is good, but you don't get enough fat rendering out during the cook, and  I actually found myself adding a little olive oil to the pan to get it to crisp up for use in the carbonara pasta I was making.

Also, your texture looks to be a lot more consistent than mine was.  In spite of being pretty careful to maintain the environment at around 65% humidity and 50oF, it became clear after I cut it open that the outside was pretty dry and the inside was still very wet.  I think the outside must have dried too quickly (possibly due to a lack of a proper fat coating?) creating a barrier.  Again, don't think this has affected the flavour at all...  just the overall texture.

Well done! Can't wait to have another go myself.

Caneyscud

"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"