• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Original smoker vs. digital 4 rack

Started by beyondclarity, January 15, 2010, 07:05:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beyondclarity

Can anyone help me understand the main differences between the original smoker and the digital 4 rack?  I'm helping a friend decide which to get and I've never seen the original before.

Thanks!

RAF128

The original has a temperature setting on the bottom of the smoke tower.   You slide it to the desired setting and check the temp on the thermometer in the door.    The digital has all the controls on the smoke generator.   You can set temp, time on it.   Also the temps are displayed there.

Caneyscud

Also some differences in construction

Original has a Thermometer in the door
DBS has stainless steel interior - original aluminum
Door and hinge construction is different
No electronics below the cabinet floor.

Rest is basically the same as far as cabinet size and wattage of heat.

The digital makes it somewhat easier to set and control the heat.  (it's the unit I have)  But like any other tool, once you get used to the Original - probably just as easy. 

For really precise control of heat - the Original plus a PID is in the same price league as a Digital
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

OU812

The original works with a rheostat, constent power like an old stove, to control the heat and the digital works with a thermostat, off at high set on on low set like the fernace in your house, to control the heat.

The digital you can also set the time for how long the puck burner stays on and the cabnet temp times out at 9 hr 40 min so you have to reset the cabnet timer when doing a long cook.

Hoss

Check out this thread.  This question has been pondered before.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=12982.0

I personally have the original, and have no problems with it.  I bought the original to be sure this was something I was gonna like doing before spending that much money.  Now I will be buying a PID to go with mine, meaning I am spending about the same cash as if I had bought a digital. 

GL with your purchase!
Life is not like a box of chocolates.  It's more like a jar of jalapenos - What you do Today might really burn your ass tomorrow.

GusRobin

It is my understanding that the PID works better that the Digital controller on the BDS. One difference is you won't have automatic control of the puck burner.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

JF7FSU

I have the OBS + the Auber PID.  I am happy with the combo. 
Posted via Tapatalk - iPhone

Old_Sarge

Quote from: JF7FSU on January 16, 2010, 09:13:38 PM
I have the OBS + the Auber PID.  I am happy with the combo. 

Seconded!

Caneyscud

Quote from: GusRobin on January 15, 2010, 02:57:17 PM
It is my understanding that the PID works better that the Digital controller on the BDS. One difference is you won't have automatic control of the puck burner.

It seems that way.  The DBS appears to have a different algorithm or different sampling rate from the PID - probably both.  It's great for normal "Q like butts, ribs, brisket, chicken, but can be pesky for things needing tighter control - some sausages.  I don't have a PID on my DBS, so can't speak the the Puck burner - I would assume you mean the control over the puck advance.  If you don't have that, no biggie.  Just put in the amount of pucks you want. 6 for 2 hours, 9 for 3 hours, etc.....    If you know you want/need a PID, you could save some bucks by going with the OBS and PID combo rather that DBS/PID combo.  Lots of good 'Q has been made with all three.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Oldman

QuoteIt is my understanding that the PID works better that the Digital controller
The controller on the DBS is like the one you would find in most ovens. The temp swing can be quite large up and down. My PID swing +/- 1 degree.
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!