What is Lost by doing just the brisket flat

Started by oakrdrzfan, January 15, 2010, 08:41:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakrdrzfan

My local Costco carries only brisket flats.  What is lost in the smoking process (if anything) by just doing the flat and not an entire packer brisket.

I am itching to do a brisket and am having a hard time finding a packer brisket.

FLBentRider

I have trouble getting whole packers here too.

I would avoid the highly trimmed flats at the grocery store.

I get time cryovac'd flats with the fat cap @ Sams Club.

I don't hardly trim them much, just season and go.

The point has a different texture and is usually fattier with a lot more marbling. The one I did was great, but it was part of a USDA Prime brisket I bought at a butcher shop for $3.99/lb ouch.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

classicrockgriller

If you are itching to do a brisket I would get it and smoke it.

Like FBR said just stay away from the heavy trim ones.

The flats will smoke/cook a little faster also.

But with a little love you will still enjoy some great BBQ.

squirtthecat

That's all I can find as well are the flats.

If all you can find is a heavily trimmed one, get a pound of cheap bacon and put it on the rack above the brisket so it 'rains' some pork fat on it...

Maybe put it in a pan w/ a few glugs of beer/whatever before you go to bed, so it retains some of the moisture.
(you won't get much of a bark doing that, but it will still come out juicy and tender - and with some awesome gravy)

OU812

I feel that there is nothing lost in the smoking process when doing just the flat.

I always remove the flat from the point. To me the flat is allot better than the point due to they are really two different pieces of meat with different textures.

I make the point into corned beef when doing a brisket.

When doing a flat try to find one with at least 1/4" fat cap on it.

Caneyscud

Nothing's lost, but it is a little trickier to get low-n-slow tender.  Particularly as already pointed out the really trimmed ones.  They are basically made to oven or pot roast in a sealed moist environment - braising is another term - where the need for fat for "moisture" is not as necessary.  They are usually thin enough that they can sometimes get "done" before all the tenderizing magic gets done with it's work.  The addition of other fats (as in bacon) are a good thing as is mopping (aka basting).  And as hard as it is for me to say it, many people get great results in initially smoking the flat and then wrapping in foil with possible a little bit of liquid to finish out the cook.  Then 30 minutes before it is done - open up the foil to set the bark. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

oakville smoker

I used ti usethe Costco brisketts but recently found a meat packer that will sell me the entire piece
My complaint with Costco flats was they were over trimmed and did not have enough fat on them
My other complaint was the price, over double what I pay the packer now

Iwas like you though, could find a source otherwise so I did what I had to do !
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

Gizmo

If they are over trimmed and you don't have a choice, put a pound of bacon on the rack above.  Let the bacon fat render down.  Get nice smoked bacon and a brisket for the smoke of one.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

oakrdrzfan

What is considered a "Good" price for a packer brisket?

Sounds like Super Walmarts may have packer briskets.  I will check there next.

classicrockgriller

a great price is .99lb

a good price is less than $2lb

I don't buy them if they are over $2 cause next week they will be $1.50 somewhere close.

FLBentRider

Quote from: oakrdrzfan on January 16, 2010, 07:14:38 AM

Around here, anything under $2.50/lb - in some places less than $1.00/lb
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

Quote from: oakrdrzfan on January 16, 2010, 07:14:38 AM

Sounds like Super Walmarts may have packer briskets.  I will check there next.

One of our (Springfield, IL) Super Wally's has the packers - at least I think they are packers - for around 1.60 a pound.   I haven't tried one yet, but I'm thinking that is in the cards for next Friday night.

MPTubbs

Just bought my 2 briskets at Sam's @ $1.68 a #.

They were Angus choice.
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

oakrdrzfan

Ok, went to SuperWalmart and found full packer briskets there.  I paid $1.86 per pound.  I am set for my first brisket next weekend.

Paddlinpaul

Quote from: squirtthecat on January 15, 2010, 08:56:14 AM

Maybe put it in a pan w/ a few glugs of beer/whatever before you go to bed, so it retains some of the moisture.
(you won't get much of a bark doing that, but it will still come out juicy and tender - and with some awesome gravy)

A few glugs of beer before bed helps me sleep too.
With my Bradley, no one tells me to quit smoking!