• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First batch of ground meat jerky

Started by Waltz, January 15, 2010, 12:48:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waltz

Now have my Elk Mountain Jerky machine and Cure#1 and also approx. 1lb each of venison, beef and pork which I have ground and mixed with the cure, soy sauce, a little tomato juice, chillie powder, garlic powder, celery powder, Cayenne, allspice and mace and which is now sitting in the fridge overnight to let the flavours work together.  Smokin tomorrow ;D.

Quarlow

That sounds like a good combination. Good luck Waltz.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Waltz

Thanks Quarlow,

I have just taken it out of the smoker and am pleased with it as a first attempt.
I forgot to mention the dark brown sugar I had in the mix in my earlier posting.

The Elk Mountain machine worked well:

I noticed in another thread someone had mentioned about using the same strip of paper for a number of times.  I did this for the full batch so the paper should last a while.
Got five racks from my three pounds of meat this is them loaded up in the smoker:

and this is how it looked in the finish after 2 hours maple smoke and 6 hours total in the BDS:

It tastes as good as any I have bought and not too tough so this is something I will be doing again.

I also made some black pudding today which turned out OK too but that is not smoked and another story.

Waltz.

Quarlow

Nice looking jerky Waltz, sweet job of that. I have never had it but I think I will pass on the Hagis. I know and I usually trying things before I say no but there is just something about it that doesn't have any appeal to me and I am scottish decent too.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

Waltz

Quarlow,

Thanks for your kind words on the Jerky.
Black Pudding and Haggis are different beasts though.  Black Pudding is made with pigs blood, pork back fat, pin-head oatmeal, barley and spices. Haggis is made from lambs heart, lungs and liver, barley, pin-head oatmeal and spices.  The black pudding I made is in hog casings and haggis can be as well but more usually in ox bung although both, when commercially made, are often in plastic or collagen these days.
Neither sound very appealing but can be tasty, perhaps an aquired taste but the ingredients are certainly no worse than some of the things which go into commercial sausages and the taste no worse than some of the French sausages (Andouillette for instance) which are considered a great delicacy.  Each to their own I guess.

Best Wishes,
Waltz

Quarlow

Waltz from some strange reason you didn't make one sound anymore appealing than the other. :D :D In fact you may have made the Hagis sound even worse than I imagined. "Ox bung" I'm glad you mentioned that cause I would probanly kill the person that feed me something that was made in cow's ass if I found out this after he feed it to me. ;D ;D :D :D :D Just joking. So as much as I probably don't want to know, what is an "Ox Bung"?

OBS
BBQ

Waltz

Quarlow,

You are pretty close in what you seem to be thinking Ox bung is.  It is the last yard or so of a cow's intestine.  It is used as a natural sausage casing and can be about 4 inches or more in diameter when stuffed.  They wash it well before they use it! ;D.  Unlike the French sausage Andouillette, which I am reliable informed smells and tastes like s*1t.  As I said, each to their own ;D.

Best wishes,
Waltz.

Quarlow

Quote from: Waltz on January 17, 2010, 11:50:22 AM
Quarlow,

You are pretty close in what you seem to be thinking Ox bung is.  It is the last yard or so of a cow's intestine.  It is used as a natural sausage casing and can be about 4 inches or more in diameter when stuffed.  They wash it well before they use it! ;D.  Unlike the French sausage Andouillette, which I am reliable informed smells and tastes like s*1t.  As I said, each to their own ;D.

Best wishes,
Waltz.
I guess this depends on how accurate the bull was eh. :D :D :D ;D ;D

OBS
BBQ