OBS in the Mojave

Started by unsmokedham, January 15, 2010, 03:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unsmokedham

Hello all,

My name is Gene and we're located in Ridgecrest, CA in the Upper Mojave Desert. My wife (Retta) and I have been looking at and discussing smokers for a few months now and we just received our new Bradley Original Smoker and Auber Instruments Bradley Dual Probe PID this week. In fact both are still in the box awaiting the weekend and the remainder of the supplies (namely the bisquettes). We are really looking forward to some nice smoked meats as the freezer is full of beef, chicken, pork and venison. I guess having the OBS is a good reason to start fishing in the Sierras again  ;D

Up till now, we have enjoyed plain backyard BBQ'ing over coals and on a gas grill. Being that the weather in the high desert lends itself to be able to BBQ almost year round, we have worn out several patio grills. This year's addition of the OBS along with a soon-to-be identified replacement gas grill will put us in great shape for this year and many to come if all works as advertised. We read alot of the posts on this forum and that helped alot in deciding to get the non-digital OBS and augment it with the Auber PID vice the Digital Bradley. The two main features that we felt sold us on the Bradley was the idea of using bisquettes and the ability to cold smoke with the optional attachment.

BTW my ID 'unsmokedham' was derived from the fact that I am a Amateur Radio Operator, commonly referred to as a 'ham'. My call is W5DQ. I've been a ham for 34 years and have never smoked (cigarettes or brisket ;)), well you'll figure it out I'm sure.

Happy Smoking,

Gene

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum unsmokedham!

Get that puppy seasoned up and smokin!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Hoss

Welcome to the Forum.  Lots and Lots of great guys (and gals) here.  I am sure you will love your new hobby! ;D ;D
Life is not like a box of chocolates.  It's more like a jar of jalapenos - What you do Today might really burn your ass tomorrow.

classicrockgriller

Gene, Welcome to the nut house! Glad to have you here. Congrats on your smoker selection.

If you have any question just ask!

OU812

Welcome to the fun unsmokedham.

Sounds like you did your home work.

Hope you both enjoy your new hobby and keep us posted on your journey.

MPTubbs

Jump on in Gene!

Remember we like pictures of your adventures.

Keep the vent open and the smoke roll'n  ;)
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

NePaSmoKer

Welcome Gene

Ridgecrest was my old stomping grounds allong with Mojave, China Lake, Mt Whitney, Mammoth area. I lived in the Antelope Valley. Did lots of fishing in the Whitney area.

Good choice of smoker.

squirtthecat

Welcome aboard Whiskey Five Dairy Queen!

smokeNcanuck

Gene, good to have you along for the long smoke filled ride.  I'm sure you and your wife will love the OBS, so open her up and get at it!
Let me know how you feel about the PID, thinking about getting one.  I am almost as green as you so a beginners view point would be really helpful.
Either Way....I'm Smoke'N It

Paddlinpaul

Welcome to you. My Grandfather was a signals man in WW2 with the canadian Army. His younger brother was a ham until hi demise about 10 years ago. I will try to find out his VE3, maybe you crossed paths. He was a RAF in WW2, shot down in Occupid Franc and spent a couple years with the Resistance until they could get him out.
With my Bradley, no one tells me to quit smoking!

Quarlow

You think you're a ham you wait till you see all the hams around here. ;D ;D I could name few but that would just alienate me. :D :D :D Welcome to the forum buddy. Your going to love this place. And remember to keep that vent open.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

KevinG

Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

aha638

Gene, be careful when you start smoking.  I have a brother-in-law (Clar) that lives in your town and he sure likes my smoking result when he visits Riverside!

Al

unsmokedham

Thanks for all the howdy's.

So here I sit on a perfect spring like weekend (high 65 today) in the Mojave Desert, OBS and PID all set up and raring to go ..... and NO bisquettes. Amazon delayed shipping the ones I ordered with the OBS and they're not due to be delivered until the 23rd  >:( No one and I mean NO ONE in my podunk desert town has Bradley supplies. I called around and went to almost every store that I even thought might have some and nada anywhere. I called one place and asked the women if they had an Bradley supplies, describing the bisquettes as kind of like the size of a hockey puck. She says she'll check then I hear her ask someone else there if they carried "smoking hockey pucks" ??? The other person told her that there was no such thing and the woman comes back on the phone and very politely tells me that they didn't carry those.

So looks like I'm going to need to lay in a goodly supply of 'smoking hockey pucks  :D' if I plan on using the OBS as much as I want to. Maybe I should become the local Bradley hockey puck smoker dealer?

So it's BBQ burgers tonight instead  :(

Gene

MrsHoss

Welcome unsmokedham.  I'm sure you'll be smokin' everything you can get your hands on shortly.  Happy smoking! ;D ;D