• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Strange sighting (for me anyway) this morning

Started by Tiny Tim, January 19, 2010, 04:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiny Tim

I was driving around after my leg-wrapping appointment this morning, waiting for 11:00 so I could grab some lunch before going home, and was still well inside the City limits, but near a wooded area.  Looked over to my left and saw 7...got that? 7 wild turkeys, one of which was up on what I would call a squirrel feeder.  I was kinda lookin' for wildlife, but more of the four legged ones with antlers.  Never even dreamed there'd be turkeys there.

FLBentRider

So what recipe are you going to use on the Turkey?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Tiny Tim

Gonna mix it in with some Spaghettios. ;D

Would have been just a teensy bit illegal for me to bag one (or all) of them.  First, no hunting license, second, firing a gun inside the city limits is a no-no around here, and third, I would have had to steal a gun (and that would add another charge, *felon in possession of a firearm). ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

*No, I am not a felon, stealing the gun would make me one though.

classicrockgriller

I saw 8 wild turkeys the other day, but they were in bottles.

I drank some of that and I climbed a squirrel feeder.

squirtthecat

Quote from: classicrockgriller on January 19, 2010, 05:01:37 PM
drank some of that and I climbed a squirrel feeder.

Wearing a can of Spaghettios...   :D

Tiny Tim

Quarlow

Quote from: classicrockgriller on January 19, 2010, 05:01:37 PM
I saw 8 wild turkeys the other day, but they were in bottles.

I drank some of that and I climbed a squirrel feeder.
:D :D :D were you over in tims neck of the woods today. ;D ;D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

harper072554

I counted 26 Wild Turkey's on my Deer Stand New Years Eve morning...
Wade

tsquared

There are a few dribs and drabs of wild turkey flocks around here on southern Vancouver Island. When we first moved into our current house, my wife told me she had seen a flock behind our house. I told her she must have been into the bottled variety. Next morning I climb into my car to go to work, look in the rear view mirror to back up and--yup 4 turkey heads bobbing along. I hate it when she's right! :)
T2

MPTubbs

Lots of turkeys here in Nebraska.

This year they started a new program.....you now get 2 turkeys per permit in stead of one.

I usually bag 2 to 5 turkeys a year and at $20+ dollars a permit (resident) it adds up quickly.

So 2 fer 1 sale...Mikey likes that!  ;D
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

OU812

I had a hen with 9 chicks call my back yard home this summer, they would even drink out of the dog's water bowl when they passed by.

ArnieM

We have a small flock that wanders around the neighborhood.  Our local "deer pack" is up to seven.  They're like locusts.  And, not a single buck.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: ArnieM on January 20, 2010, 06:24:03 AM
We have a small flock that wanders around the neighborhood.  Our local "deer pack" is up to seven.  They're like locusts.  And, not a single buck.

Little Arnie will be showing up soon strutin his horns! ;D

ArnieM

On the subject of turkeys, sort of ...

Several years back I worked in an office building, the kind with a lot of 'black' reflective glass from the outside.  The windows came down to about 3 feet off the floor on the inside and there was a ledge outside.  Turkey Vultures would come and sit on the ledge.  I could get about 10-12", nose to beak.  Damn, those things are ugly.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

tsquared

My lab has an absolute hate on for those turkey vultures. Ducks, geese, eagles fly over our yard all the time--no problem. When a turkey vulture cruises over at roof top height, she goes cracker dog. Maybe they pecked at her when she lay still a little too long! :D
T2