more butt bark

Started by Klondikesmoker, January 22, 2010, 11:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Klondikesmoker

Thanks for all the advice.  I put the rub on first then a coating of CYM then another thick coating of rub.  In a plastic bag and into the fridge until tomorrow evening.  Will add another coating of rub before going in the DBS.  Looking at 4 hours smoke then probably another 10 hours or so at 215*.  The last butt was 12lbs and took 25 hours but some of that was recovery time from opening the door. 10lb this time and I won't be opening the door as much.   Outside temp today should be about 0C (19F) hoping it won't take as long.  Start at 8pm Sunday night should be ready around noon on Monday.  Wish me luck. 

klondikesmoker

10lb nakid butt

with rub and CYM

with second coating of rub

ninerguy

Got so excited about doing my first smoke I forgot to put water in drip bowl :-[ .  Will this make any difference to cooking time.  I just realized now and put some water in  ::) .

ninerguy
When my feet hit the floor in the morning I know it's a good day

ArnieM

ninerguy,

Opening the door to put the water in will probably have more of an effect that adding the water itself. 

Good luck.  Keep us posted.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

ninerguy

ArnieM :  Temp went down ashes flew  ;D  but I think everything is OK.  The IT is now 157F  I would like to eat about 6 pm est it is now 4 pm should I finish in oven  ???. Did not open door for long  ;D ;D

ninerguy

ArnieM

ninerguy - better go out and get a pizza.  157 is around the 'stall point'.  It could hang in there for a couple of hours before the temp starts going up again.

If the Bradley is below 210-220, I'd go with the oven, around 250.  My guess is that it may take at least another 3-4 hours.  >:(
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

classicrockgriller

I split a butt in half to try for more smoke, but techinically you are only adding the height of the butt x2 to be exposed to smoke.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=13463.0

I have also sliced the butt in the middle leaving 1/3 of the meat attached, removed the bone, slice thru the center of the two sides leaving about an inch of

meat attached. Unrolled it, seasoned it all and smoked it and rolled it back up and tied it together and then finished the cook.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=13237.0

One thing I will do different on the Layed out butt is reduce the heat alittle during the smoke time so it would be easier to tie back up.

ninerguy

ArnieM:  Yes I had to take the roast out and finish in the oven for 30 min, did not eat till 7 but the wait was well worth it.  Daughter & son in law dropped in and loved the result.  So tomorrow we are having back ribs beer and watching the playoff games.

ninerguy

hal4uk

Just my 2c... 

I've split 'em before (for more bark), but I like 'em better cooked whole.

I love the bark.  Some people don't.  But seems like, when you're cooking to serve any "group", that fact makes the regular (cooked whole) amount of bark work out well - some get more - some get less or none.  Also, there's just something about cooking ANYTHING with the bone IN.  Seems to improve the overall flavor to me.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

classicrockgriller

Quote from: hal4uk on January 23, 2010, 09:13:31 PM
Just my 2c... 

I've split 'em before (for more bark), but I like 'em better cooked whole.

I love the bark.  Some people don't.  But seems like, when you're cooking to serve any "group", that fact makes the regular (cooked whole) amount of bark work out well - some get more - some get less or none.  Also, there's just something about cooking ANYTHING with the bone IN.  Seems to improve the overall flavor to me.

Like eating a Great Steak and on the last bite realizing it didn't have any sear marks. ;D

hal4uk

Speaking of which... 

For those who like a tidy lawn, much better than they do sear marks on their steak...
2000 John Deere LT155 - bargain price of $850 - 42" mulching deck...
and it comes with a FREE 2 YEAR OLD ($500 new) Stainless Steel NG CharBroil Quantum grill.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

classicrockgriller