• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Jumping in with both feet (Couple questions added in new reply)

Started by TTNuge, January 22, 2010, 12:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TTNuge

Well I decided that if I'm going to do it, I better do it right.  So today when I was at Cabelas and they had the 80l dehydrator still on sale for $229 I decided to pick one up.  I also came back to work and ordered a Jerky Cannon, some jerky mixes, 12 Jerky Racks for the Bradley, and am going to get the 8 rack kit from Scott's place once I get the quote back.  That should be a good start.

My first attempt is going to be some ground beef jerky, hoping for a teriyaki flavor.  I probably won't smoke this first batch as I don't think a teriyaki needs it and I want to keep it as simple as possible.  

Anyone got a good recipe for a teriyaki seasoning they've used?  

Will I be fine with the racks that come with the Cabela's 80l dehydrator or shoudl I invest in some Frog Mats?  I saw the post about getting some custom made for the 80L so I'm thinking of jumping on that, good idea?

Since I got the jerky racks from Y-n-P should I consider Frog Mats for them as well?  I don't foresee doing a ton of jerky in the Bradley but I will be doing some.  I mainly got the jerky racks because they are non-stick coated and I think it was a good upgrade from the standard racks.

Any tips, tricks, hints, things I'm forgetting?  I've been reading the jerky forum for a bit now and will continue on but any newbie/basic instruction/primers that would make for some interesting reading would be great.  Heck, even general words of encouragement are just fine too.

Thanks all for feeding the frenzy!

FLBentRider

If you haven't opened the Bradley Jerky racks, I would return them.

The coating starts to flake off after a few uses.

I would get the high temp jerky screens from Yard and Pool.

http://www.yardandpool.com/High-Temperature-Jerky-Drying-Screen-p/hitempjrky.htm

I just put my jerky on the 80L racks - They are a pain to clean since they don't fit in my sink. I am considering the frog mats for that as well.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

TTNuge

Ahhh, thanks for that FLBR, now that you mention it I do recall reading about the issue with the non-stick coated racks.  I just sent Yard and Pool an email so hopefully they can still change my order.

I also read several of your jerky posts, very informative and I'm very appreciative of the info!

FLBentRider

You're welcome.

A lot of mistakes went in to the making of my current method.

You learn more from failure than success.

I've never made anything inedible, but it was close once. I way overdid the cayenne pepper. And we like it hot around here.

I used to make different batches of different flavors. Becomes a pain by the time you get to the dehydrator. Now I do one flavor per session, usually 11 to 15 lbs at a time. About every 2 weeks or so.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OU812

I was goin to say what FLB said about them jerky racks.

Mine only lasted a few times before the non-stick started coming off.

NePaSmoKer

And the non-stick sheets for the 80L are not that good and hard to clean.

smokeitall

I have had my jerky racks for the OBS for years now (bought from Cabelas) and they are still like brand new...no flaking.  I use them on every smoke unless I have more than 4 racks than I pull out the originals.  I wonder if they had some bad batches.
SIA

carnie1

Quote from: smokeitall on January 24, 2010, 09:26:23 AM
I have had my jerky racks for the OBS for years now (bought from Cabelas) and they are still like brand new...no flaking.  I use them on every smoke unless I have more than 4 racks than I pull out the originals.  I wonder if they had some bad batches.
SIA

I too have both a set for up north and a set down south of the coated racks for almost 5 yrs and coatings still intact

pensrock

My four non-stick racks still look good also. But I do not use them much anymore since getting the high temp screens.

TTNuge

I'm getting ready to do my first batch of jerky in the 80l either tomorrow or Tuesday.  I got an eye of round roast, sliced it and seasoned/cured it.  Should I follow the guidelines in the dehydrator directions on heat/time or what temp do you all recommend setting it at?  Also, do any of you actually put it in the over first to bring up the temp past 160 like they recommend or do you just go straight in the dehydrator?  And finally, I'm doing just over 3 pounds, I know it will be done when it's done but any estimate on about how long I can expect?  Curious if I can squeeze it in after work one night when I'll only have about 5-6 hours.

Thanks,

Trent

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: TTNuge on January 24, 2010, 02:08:33 PM
I'm getting ready to do my first batch of jerky in the 80l either tomorrow or Tuesday.  I got an eye of round roast, sliced it and seasoned/cured it.  Should I follow the guidelines in the dehydrator directions on heat/time or what temp do you all recommend setting it at?  Also, do any of you actually put it in the over first to bring up the temp past 160 like they recommend or do you just go straight in the dehydrator?  And finally, I'm doing just over 3 pounds, I know it will be done when it's done but any estimate on about how long I can expect?  Curious if I can squeeze it in after work one night when I'll only have about 5-6 hours.

Thanks,

Trent

I pre heat my 80L at 140*

I start my jerky at 140* for an hour, then bump to 150* for 2 hours and finish at 160* until i get the jerky bend  ;D

You should have it done in the 5-6 hours.

One thing i do is lay one rack of stips width wise and the other length wise. This disrupts the air flow around the jerky making for more even doneness.

BigJohnT

I've never had a problem with my jerky racks and for a killer recipe for jerky take a gander at my web site. And I'm like Scott that is all I use is the jerky racks.

JT

classicrockgriller

I must have gotten ahold of a bad batch!

Mine didn't last 5 smokes before they started rubbing off and as they air dry they rust.

BigJohnT

One thing I do when making 12 racks of jerky in the OBS is leave a gap in the center of each rack this helps a lot with even drying.

John