Greetings from Northern Wisconsin

Started by mke_harley, January 23, 2010, 10:16:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mke_harley

Hi everyone. My name is Mark and I am located in Northern Wisconsin. As I compose this message my new 6 shelf digital is in the process of being seasoned. Current temp outside is 33 degrees and we might get snow later today.

While this is my first Bradley I am a "seasoned" smoker. I also own 2 WSM's and whole collection of other cookers, grills, etc. We cater parties and motorcycle rallies. I purchased the Bradley to do what I would refer as "technical" smoking. As an example cheeses, nuts, salmon, and sausage.

Once the Bradley finishes seasoning I will be doing a chicken just to get the hang of how the smoker works (controls, etc.).

Look forward to learning and sharing.

Cheers, Mark

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum mke_harley

Good luck with your chicken. Keep the vent wide open for poultry.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

mke_harley

Thanks for the welcome. What do you recommend for the chicken? Cooking time and smoking time?

FLBentRider

I would run the smoker @250F, apply 2-3 hours of smoke.

If you like to eat the skin, take the bird out about 5-7 degrees short of your target IT - 165F - and put in a 350F oven, uncovered, until you get to 165F. Or do the same on the Grill.

Low temp cooking (smoke or not) tends to make poultry skin rubbery to the point of being inedible.

If you have time, brining the bird will add moisture and flavor.

I use this recipe - http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=46#post46

I wouldn't worry about the 210-250F discrepancy.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KevinG

Welcome Mark - looks like you're going to need a trailer for your bike to haul that Bradley around.  ;D
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

mke_harley

Hey thanks Kevin. If you are in Wisconsin I might take you up on the offer.

But I have a problem. Granted the outside temp never got above 33 today but my Bradley never got about 85 degrees. I had it set for 250. What I am doing wrong?

Mark

classicrockgriller

Are you plugged into an extention cord?

Make sure in thr back all your cords are pushed in snug.

HawkeyeSmokes

Welcome to the forum mke_harley .

Check the connections on all your power cords. Once in a while if they are not seated well, the chamber doesn't heat up. Also make sure that the tower is turned turned on, those buttons are a little touchy.

What part of northern WI are you from. I'm near Eau Claire.
HawkeyeSmokes

KevinG

I'd start looking for loose connections, and make sure it's out of the wind. I don't have the same problems as you guys up there cause I'm in the heat of AZ. It seems that most of the time the heavy plug that goes into the cabinet doesn't always seat properly. I'm sure some cold wheather folks will chime in with some more suggestions.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

mke_harley

Thanks Kevin I will look at connections tomorrow morning. Could there be issues with length of extension cord? I have to run off a 25' cord.

classicrockgriller

HawkeyeSmokes

It sounds like the smoke generator only was heating with the temps he had.
HawkeyeSmokes

mke_harley

Thanks everyone, like everything probably an operator error ::). I will try again Sunday morning.

car54

Welcome MKE Harley,

I am also in Wisconsin(New Berlin). I have been using the Bradley for nearly 6 years. I am just finishing some pork butt and the Bradley has been operating continually for the last 40 hours.

I am sure that you will get yours working.

Have a great time with it and visit this forum often.

Brad

mke_harley

Yup it was operator error.

This morning I double-checked all connections and made sure all cords were seated properly and sure enough I was able to get the temps up to where I wanted them.

I did notice that that I had a drop in temp after 30 minutes so I again checked the connections and the temp went back up. I am sure I am seeing the result of breaking in new equipment.

Next weekend I will try again and I am sure I will be in business.

Thanks everyone for the help.

BTW, I live in Milwaukee but spend my weekends in Northern Wisconsin near the city of Crandon.

Cheers