• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

My first attempt at GB jerky

Started by Sweet35th, January 24, 2010, 08:53:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweet35th

Well I broke my OBS in with 5#s of Elk Jerky that turned out absolutely amazing. I used a Cabelas marinade/cure that worked awesome.   My second effort was 5#s of top round that I used my own concoction......Well something happened that either the marinade/cure just lost all of its flavor, or the smoke neutralized it, because that batch turned out flavorless.   As far as texture and finish it was great, just sans any flavor....

Now for round 3!!      3#s  85/15 ground beef.    I used a Hi Mountain Cajun season/cure.   Half the batch my wife added her own favorite McCormic seasoned pepper to.     Hi Mountain recomends 1.5-2hrs at 200degrees....In the current local temps I don't know if that will happen.    I suspect more like 3-3.5hrs at 160-170 degrees,  with only 1hr of smoke.   (I am using hickory).       

To form the jerky I used an aluminum jerky gun that held 1.5#s.   It work awesome.   Far better than expected.   I hope to have pictures when finished.
A wise friend once told me.   "If you sit on the couch all day long drinking beer, your an alcoholic...  If you sit in front of the smoker all day long drinking beer,  your a hero!"

Gizmo

I have had a batch or two where the flavors didn't come out as strong as I thought they would.  Fun to keep trying new things though.  :D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

KevinG

It's possible you could've gotten a old box of seasoning. Happened to me, flavors were real bland.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Sweet35th

Quote from: KevinG on January 25, 2010, 04:16:16 AM
It's possible you could've gotten a old box of seasoning. Happened to me, flavors were real bland.

Nah, im pretty sure it was just me!  LOL

The ground beef jerky turned out great!   And wow what alot less mess than doing regular cuts of meat..   The batch I did with the additional pepper is my favorite,  the regular cajun just needs a lil more heat for my liking.   But I like spicy!!!   But flavor and texture very good.
A wise friend once told me.   "If you sit on the couch all day long drinking beer, your an alcoholic...  If you sit in front of the smoker all day long drinking beer,  your a hero!"