• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First try at polish sausage

Started by dbondy, January 25, 2010, 09:28:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbondy

HI guys and gals, I just finished my first batch of polish sausage and I'm very happy with the end results. I used a HM kit that I got for xmass, it came with real hog casings but for my first try I used 32mm collagen casings. I also added a extra 1.5TB spoons of corse black pepper and 4 cloves of minzed garlic. Next time I'll  use the real casings or 38mm collagen casings to see what happens, but other than that I'll leave everything else the same. ;D ;D

15lbs of butt on the left and a smaller 5lber on the right for pulled pork next weekend

the fat meat was ground fine and the other meat was ground corse

all mixed up and ready to stuff

stuffed going to rest in the fridge overnight

done after 14 hours

vac packed

a few test pieces

pfowl01

KevinG

Looks good. What type of smoke did you use?
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

dbondy

Thanks KevinG, I used 2.5 hours of apple. I was going to use hickery but I was out.

ArnieM

They look good DB.  Polish sausage is on my short list  :D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OU812

Good job on the sausage db

You are really kickin out the sausage these days, aint it great?

dbondy

Thanks guys, glad to have some pics now since I lost my other ones. I'v got two batchs of snack sticks to get done this week so I'll keep you posted. Also my wife said that she will never buy store bought sausage again. It takes a bit of work but the end results are paying off. Our freezer is also starting to fill up so I might have to venture into other progects like some brisket, and have some company over to eat some of this stuff. Its like you guys said this stuff is addicting. Now I just have to find a way to get some of that CT sauce sent up to Canada so I can get some pulled butt going.  ;D ;D

Piker

How do you guys get that great colour? Mine does not look too bad but not as good as above. Piker

KevinG

Cure & smoke. You probably don't have enough of one or the other. It can also be the casing, if it is too moist or dry it won't absorb the smoke as easily if in the proper range.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Habanero Smoker

You can also try blooming the sausage longer.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

classicrockgriller

Nice job db.

Looking forward to making my own soon.

Hope mine looks as good as yours.

dbondy

Thanks guys. Piker make sure the casings are dry before the SG is turned on also have plenty of spacing between the sausage during the smoke time to get an even smoking on the sausages. I didn,t do the ice bath on this batch but I did let it bloom for 1 hour like HABS said. I did notice that it took about 2.5 hours for the casings to dry this time at a cabinet temp of 130. But there was also 15lbs meat in there. Hope this helps. ;D

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Piker on January 25, 2010, 06:20:24 PM
How do you guys get that great colour? Mine does not look too bad but not as good as above. Piker

Adding more paprika will make the blooming sausage get darker. It does not impart the taste that much.

OU812

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on January 27, 2010, 06:27:14 AM
Quote from: Piker on January 25, 2010, 06:20:24 PM

Adding more paprika will make the blooming sausage get darker. It does not impart the taste that much.

California Sweet paprika will not impart a taste.