Maverick probe cables

Started by shortimer, April 06, 2005, 03:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shortimer

Another newbie to this Forum, have had BS for a week and did one smoke with turkey breast, turkey legs and corned beef brisket. Just received my Maverick ET-73 from gadgetsource.com and am wondering how most of you route the probe cables out of the smoker. If I run them through the door seal will it have any adverse effect? Planning on doing a pork shoulder roast and a pork loin soon. TIA.

3rensho

I just run mine thru the top vent, which I always have open to some degree and that seems to work fine.  I was afraid of distorting the door seal over time if I ran it in that way.

Tom

Smokin' in Switzerland
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Habanero Smoker

You can either go through the vent or the door, without effecting performance. I usually place the transmitter on top of the BS and run the wires through the vent. Running them through the vent helps me to keep the wires out of the way if I have to remove or turn one or more trays before the whole load is completed.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

nsxbill

I just run them through the door and shut the door.  If I remove the meat with the probe it just allows me to rotate without worrying about the probe having blocked movement by a shelf or something from above.   I actually looked into getting some grommets made to put the probes through the back or side, but the thickness of the wall precludes the bend in the temp probe (Guru has quite a bend) from going through without too big of a hole.

Top is a good choice with hanging meat from above, and have done that too.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

manxman

I run em through the vent, not sure if anyone ever has a reason to completely shut the vent when using a B.S but I certainly never have.

Some of the more experienced members may be able to expand on reasons to have the vent completely shut, I can't think of one.[:D]

Manxman.
Manxman

MallardWacker

OK Call me a freak....

Just a side note:

I bought these two Accurite at Academy Sports for 16.00 each.  Also I put all three in boiling water and all three stated 208deg.  To me not bad...

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

shortimer

Sounds like the consensus is through the top vent. Thanks to all who replied.

Larry

Somewhere there is a village missing an idiot!