• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Deer Loin

Started by mow_delon, January 26, 2010, 04:00:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mow_delon

I have 8 full venison loins left yet from the 2009 deer season and was wondering if anyone had any real good ideas on what to do with them.  I have brined and smoked in the past, but am looking for more ideas.  Thanks for the info.

OU812

One of my favorites is to butterfly and wrap in bacon.

Or make some Canadian Bacon

Or make what I call a fattie. Take the loin and slice length ways about half way through. Lay open

Then beat flat like chicken fried steak.

Top with what sounds good at the time.

Roll up and wrap in bacon.

Smoke at 220 F with Pecan pull out when IT hits 145 F

Slice and enjoy.

Just dont over cook the deer It will dry out if you go much over an IT of 150 F

MPTubbs

WOW---OU that's a good layout!

You must experiment allot.
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

OU812

I like to mix things up a little every time I cook.

Got some deer curin out right now for pastrami and CB.

MPTubbs

One of these days you all are go'n to have to explain to me this pastrami business.

If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

FLBentRider

Quote from: MPTubbs on January 26, 2010, 05:29:41 PM
One of these days you all are go'n to have to explain to me this pastrami business.

Get yourself a brisket.

Cure it.

Smoke it.

pastrami.

Do yourself a favor and get your curing feet wet with Hab's Canadian bacon.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

pensrock

Take the deer loin and make Hab's Canadian bacon. It will not need to cure quite as long cause its not as thick. comes out great.

mow_delon

Wow OU, you are the master of the fattie!  That will definately be next on the agenda.  I am curing Canadian Bacon with these two loins right now.  The fattie will be next week.  Hopefully I get some pics of that.

Also, can anyone explain the difference between Canadian Bacon and Pastrami?

I need to also tell everyone on this site thanks for all the help and willingness to share ideas!  This site is truely a wealth of info for the smoking fool.  Thank you all!!!!!!!

Tenpoint5

CB is made from the loin or backstrap, Pastrami is made from brisket or if you process your own venison it comes from the bottom round in the hind 1/4. (The hourglass shaped section when the eye is detached)
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

The cure and smoke of CB and Pastrami is the same but pastrami has a heavy rub of ground black pepper, ground juniper berries and the main thing that makes it pastrami, ground coriander.

I'm making some Pastrami out of a deer loin this weekend but as 10.5 stated its mainly made from bottom round from deer and brisket flat or round from beef.

seemore

Mow, the smoking Gods on this forum are amazing!  They are creative, helpful, and always there to assist.
mrs s

Quarlow

Quote from: mow_delon on January 27, 2010, 07:59:54 AM

I need to also tell everyone on this site thanks for all the help and willingness to share ideas!  This site is truely a wealth of info for the smoking fool.  Thank you all!!!!!!!
HEY I think he just called us fools. Ok boys that's it let's run him out of town. Just kidding, glad you are enjoying the forum. We have a lot of darn good and dedicated smoker's on here. We appreciate all of them even guys that call us fools. :D :D :D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

SmokinDuramax

Going 2 do a deer loin like this 4 the super bowl party! Does this sound ok? Im going 2 put chopped onion green peppers and mushrooms then some type of cheese!What cheese works the best doing this?Any other things that u guys would say 2 put in there?Oh going 2 wrap with bacon as well.Thanks

OU812

I like pepper jack but any cheese will work.

Make sure you keep the fillin away from the edges and pinch shut when rollin.

SmokinDuramax

Quote from: OU812 on February 03, 2010, 05:35:56 AM
I like pepper jack but any cheese will work.

Make sure you keep the fillin away from the edges and pinch shut when rollin.
Ok thanks