• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Maynard Davies new book

Started by 3rensho, January 28, 2010, 03:37:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3rensho

A while ago I believe it was Manxman that posted a link to a couple of books by this author.  I got them both and they are an interesting read.  He has now come out with a new book of recipes and techniques for curing meats, smoking and sausage making.  Lots of recipes, pictures and useful information on the "old fashion" hand made products.  To me it is a must have for the bookshelf for anyone interested in curing, smoking and sausage making.

Manual of a Traditional Bacon Curer by Maynard Davies.  ISBN 978-1-906122-08-9 from Merlin Unwin Books Ltd.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

FLBentRider

Looks interesting. If I had time to read with 4 kids in the house. I still haven't finished Charcuterie!

http://www.merlinunwin.co.uk/bookDetails.asp?bookId=96
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

iceman

I read both his other books and sent them to a member of this forum when I was done. Great reading. Thanks for posting the info on his new book 3rensho. I will have to order that one as well.

Caneyscud

Quote from: FLBentRider on January 28, 2010, 04:20:48 AM
Looks interesting. If I had time to read with 4 kids in the house. I still haven't finished Charcuterie!

Just looked on the link.  OMG they have fly tying books I haven't seen before also!  Gotta step away.  Gotta step away.

Just checked the bacon book is on Amazon also, but they are waiting for copies.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

justpete

Quote from: Caneyscud on January 28, 2010, 11:01:47 AM

Just looked on the link.  OMG they have fly tying books I haven't seen before also!  Gotta step away.  Gotta step away.

Did someone say fly tying.  ;D

lumpy

OMG!
The flies I could tie with those hackles ;D

Lumpy

KevinG

Teach a man to fly ties and feed him for life. Wow that'd be cool having fresh fly tying stuff.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

oakville smoker

That is one heck of an expensive book
I think I will beg the local library to get it in
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

Caneyscud

Quote from: justpete on January 28, 2010, 12:38:19 PM
Quote from: Caneyscud on January 28, 2010, 11:01:47 AM

Did someone say fly tying.  ;D

WOW, good looking birds there!  Thanks for the pics.

I've got plenty of all that though, but what about occelated turkey or other exotic pheasants.  However, that is one good looking prime Golden rooster though.  Can't tell, but does he have the red tips to his crest?

Funny thing is that unless I'm tying some gaudy, full-dress atlantic salmon flies, I use feathers from pheasant hens more!  Some hens have some downright complex and buggie markings on some of their feathers. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

manxman

I bought the book when it first came out and my initial impression was not particularly high, not helped by a couple of disparaging remarks about amateur smokers!  ::)  Hence I did not recommend it on the forum.

The book is really aimed at people wanting to set up a small to medium sized cottage industry, many of the recipes are for bulk production and need cutting back for home use.

Anyway, to cut a long story short I put the book to one side and came back to it early this year and have formed a different opinion. From a historical point of view it contains a fascinating insight into the history of smoking and a wealth of background information on curing and smoking, different types of salts, herbs and spices, tools of the trade and a host of other information.

It also has a wide variety of recipes.

I think I expected something different when it first came out ...... my bad and I would agree with 3rensho that it is a great read.  ;) :D
Manxman