• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

i have seen the light!!! maple cured bacon

Started by monty, January 29, 2010, 09:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monty

hey everyone.

i picked up some Bradley Maple Cure the other day and tried my hand at curing. thanks to Tenpoint5 for his great pictorial, it definitely helped me along. also big thanks to everyone who has contributed to this topic in the Curing forum - there is a wealth of information here!

anyhow here's the 5lb belly. along with the Bradley cure, i rubbed in some Onion Powder/Garlic Powder/Maple Syrup/Brown Sugar.

cured 10 days, soaked for 1 1/2 - 2 hours after curing, then hit it with 2 hours of Maple. it's been pretty cold up here in Ottawa so i pulled it once the IT hit 138F.

let's just say i'm never buying bacon at the grocery store ever again. WOW  :)

my girlfriend didn't want to try any. i think she was traumatized to see the belly soaking in our sink (see pic #3  :D)

-monty

Bradley Original Smoker BT1S1
Auber PID WS-1200CPH
Traeger Lil' Tex BBQ070
Char-Broil Big Easy Infrared Fryer 10101480
Napoleon Ultra Chef UP405RB

3rensho

Beautiful job Monty.  That looks food enough to eat  ;D ;D  I pull my bacon at an IT of 135 so no worries.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Bavind

Tenpoint5

Now that is just perfect looking bacon Monty!! Looks like you got yourself one of them premium slabs with more meat than normal. NOW you know why I start salivating when I hear the word BACON. I aint thinking about no store bought stuff. When is the next slab going in the cure?
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ExpatCanadian

Quote from: monty on January 29, 2010, 09:13:12 PM
my girlfriend didn't want to try any. i think she was traumatized to see the belly soaking in our sink (see pic #3  :D)

Anybody else thinkin' "Time to get a new girlfriend...."  :D :D :D :D

Only joking of course!!!  That looks AMAZING....  if mine turns out half as good, I'll be happy.

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Piker

Great looking stuff. I just wish I could get that good of a belly out here in Ab. The best I have done is probably 50/50. The problem is I think there is not much call for it and we take what we get. Piker

oakville smoker

Once you make it yourself, you cannot eat the store bought stuff anymore
tell her about the Argentenian announcement of the wonders of pork as an aphrodisiac
I bet she changes her mind ::)
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

Halifax Aussie

In 1992, Newfoundland scientists discovered that Bacon was made from pigs.

RAF128

Went to a butcher shop yesterday and bought a 5 lb piece of fresh side bacon.    Not going to make it for a couple of weeks as my wife got a buy on bacon last week and we've got a months supply right now and she doesn't want any more for a while.    We're also still working on the back bacon I made last month.

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

RAF128

Oh I know that but you can't argue with a wife, if you know what's good for you ;)

monty

thanks everyone. 10.5 i'm thinking of starting another one this week. my dad was over last night and made away with a 1lb  ;D

Quote from: Bavind on January 29, 2010, 11:22:47 PM
Where did you get the cure??

are you in Canada? they sell the Bradley cures at Le Baron. they have a store here in Ottawa. pretty sure they do mailorder too.

Quote from: ExpatCanadian on January 30, 2010, 04:34:48 AM
Anybody else thinkin' "Time to get a new girlfriend...."  :D :D :D :D

lol  :D

Quote from: Piker on January 30, 2010, 07:05:22 AM
Great looking stuff. I just wish I could get that good of a belly out here in Ab. The best I have done is probably 50/50. The problem is I think there is not much call for it and we take what we get. Piker

hey Piker where are you in AB? if you have a local Chinese market, try there. it's always on hand (along with pig hoof!)
Bradley Original Smoker BT1S1
Auber PID WS-1200CPH
Traeger Lil' Tex BBQ070
Char-Broil Big Easy Infrared Fryer 10101480
Napoleon Ultra Chef UP405RB

OU812

Thats some damn fine lookin bacon monty, nice and meaty too.

Mmmmmmmmmm BACON.

seemore

Excellent work, Monty!  You will NEVER go back to the store-bought stuff!
Mrs