• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Cold weather brisket

Started by DjSaneR, January 30, 2010, 12:12:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DjSaneR

*Yawn*.. Just popped in another brisket (3:09 am). We'll see how well the Bradley performs in 9 degree weather, hehe.  I'll keep you posted, but right now I'm going back to bed. See ya in a few.
Bradley 6 Rack Digital
Weber Genesis S320
Weber Performer

Tenpoint5

Light Weight!!!! I'm telling Caney your letting the rest of the world know how easy it is to smoke with the Bradley by going to bed after you put the brisket in there. Just no dedication to watching over the smoker these days.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

MPTubbs

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on January 30, 2010, 05:00:31 AM
Light Weight!!!! I'm telling Caney your letting the rest of the world know how easy it is to smoke with the Bradley by going to bed after you put the brisket in there. Just no dedication to watching over the smoker these days.

I'm supposed to help a friend move today.

Told them I can't.......have to babyset the smoker.....very hard work!

;)
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

DjSaneR

HAHAHA! You're right.. I meant I'm bundled up next to the smoker tending it in 9 degree weather.  ;)

On another note something doesn't make sense to me.. I figured that since it's so cold out the Bradley would have a hard time getting up to temp and recovering after opening.. It's been the exact opposite.  This thing got up to temp and is recovering faster than if it were 85 degrees outside. I just opened it to turn the rack and move it up one level.  The box was opened for at least 1 1/2 minutes. The temp dropped from 220 to 140.  In a matter of 5 minutes it's back up to 201.  Any ideas as to why this is happening, (not complaining)?
Bradley 6 Rack Digital
Weber Genesis S320
Weber Performer

MPTubbs

Quote from: DjSaneR on January 30, 2010, 06:43:52 AM
HAHAHA! You're right.. I meant I'm bundled up next to the smoker tending it in 9 degree weather.  ;)

On another note something doesn't make sense to me.. I figured that since it's so cold out the Bradley would have a hard time getting up to temp and recovering after opening.. It's been the exact opposite.  This thing got up to temp and is recovering faster than if it were 85 degrees outside. I just opened it to turn the rack and move it up one level.  The box was opened for at least 1 1/2 minutes. The temp dropped from 220 to 140.  In a matter of 5 minutes it's back up to 201.  Any ideas as to why this is happening, (not complaining)?

My guess is that everything in the box is 220*....therefore you will recoup your temps faster.

Do you have any bricks in your smoker?
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

DjSaneR

Yes I do, however, it's never recovered this fast. I've used this smoker many times in warm weather.  I take my time when moving the rack because I've dropped a whole brisket 9 hours into the smoke.  This makes absolutely no sense.  ???
Bradley 6 Rack Digital
Weber Genesis S320
Weber Performer

FLBentRider

Any ideas as to why this is happening, (not complaining)?

Maybe you hooked it up to 240Volt by mistake ?  ;D ;D
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Pachanga

DJSaner,

Nice to hear from you.

I would have advised exactly as MPTubbs.  I can't think of any other explanation except maybe the smoke fairy is smiling on you today.

However, it will be interesting to hear your on site thoughts when all the smoke has settled.

I'm glad to hear you are huddled near the smoker and watching it closely.

QuoteI'm supposed to help a friend move today.

Told them I can't.......have to babyset the smoker.....very hard work!

MPTubbs,  nice move on the move.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

DjSaneR

Thanks Pachanga.  Yep the smoke gods are definitely on my side today. I'm doing the brisket your way. Always comes out delicious!  The IT has been at 170 for the past hour and a half. The magic is happening  :) .  I'll post pics when it's done.
Bradley 6 Rack Digital
Weber Genesis S320
Weber Performer

Gizmo

My interpretation of the quicker recoverytime would be that the heating element is full on to keep up with your set temp since it is so cold outside.  With it full on, it doesn't take 10 to 15 minutes or so to actually heat up from being in an off state as you would see when it is warm outside and the element is completely off for longer periods of time.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Bavind

Quote from: MPTubbs on January 30, 2010, 06:49:01 AM

My guess is that everything in the box is 220*....therefore you will recoup your temps faster.

Do you have any bricks in your smoker?

Bricks in your smoker???? I think I missed something. I am new around here

Gizmo

Quote from: Bavind on January 30, 2010, 08:40:21 PM
Bricks in your smoker???? I think I missed something. I am new around here

Some folks put a brick or two in the bottom of the smoker.  The bricks heat up with the heat in the cabinet.  When the door is opened and the cabinet heat escapes, the bricks can help the cabinet temperature recover faster.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Bavind

DjSaneR

Well I forgot to take pics but everything turned out just fine.  Took the brisket out @ 3pm.  12 hours. Delish!
Bradley 6 Rack Digital
Weber Genesis S320
Weber Performer