• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Generator question

Started by RAF128, January 30, 2010, 05:49:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAF128

I've got both an OBS and a 6 rack DBS.   The generator on my OBS doesn't work very well.   Sometimes it advances the pucks and sometimes it doesn't.    I'm going to take it apart, again, and see if I can fix it.   I know where the problem is and maybe I can cure it.    I began wondering if I could use the generator from my DBS on the OBS.   

FLBentRider

I don't think so, because you won't have anywhere to plug in the signal cable.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

RAF128

Quote from: FLBentRider on January 30, 2010, 05:50:37 AM
I don't think so, because you won't have anywhere to plug in the signal cable.
I bought a cold smoke adapter and it came with a small piece that plugs into the generator to fool it so you don't get an error message.   However, I looked at it this morning and the power cord is wired in, not like the DBS.   
I did take my generator for the OBS apart this morning.   When you advance puck the pusher goes back 3/4 of the way, stops, then continues back.   When going forward it goes 1/4 stops and then continues.  I took the motor assemble out and let me tell you it's fun to get that little C clip off and even more fun to get it back on.   I think the problem might be in the motor itself.   I didn't take the motor apart but I think there are likely some small nylon gears in there and I'll bet one is broken.    Can someone tell me if you can buy replacement motors?

Tenpoint5

RAF,
Brian should be along shortly. He should be able to answer your question and help you out.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

It sounds like stripped or worn gears in the motor.

There have been a couple of members that have used the digital with the OBS. I forgot what they had to do to get it to work, but if you do a search you should be able to find the thread.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Halifax Aussie

What type of cure will u use . lol
In 1992, Newfoundland scientists discovered that Bacon was made from pigs.

RAF128

I sent a message to Bradley on Saturday about my problem and got a response that afternoon.   Was given the toll free number to call and did that an hour ago.    New motor is on the way.    That should cure the problem.    My plans for the OBS is to give it to my son and figured I should give it to him in top working order.

OU812

Good to here you are gettin things back in workin order.

Your son is one lucky kid to get a smoker handed to him.