Delta BC - First Timer - Ribs and Chicken

Started by SmokinBoo, January 30, 2010, 12:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokinBoo

Hi y'all.
Got a 4 rack DBS for christmas. So far I've only seasoned it and bought a cover for it.
Today/tomorrow, I'm going to attempt some pork ribs and chicken for a dinner tomorrow night.
The chicken is breasts and legs (back attached). Should I take the skin off? Heard that the skin can get rubbery in the smoker.
Happy Smokin !

ArnieM

Welcome to the forum SB.

Just throw the chicken in the oven at 375 for 10 minutes or so when it's nearly done.  That should crisp up the skin.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

MPTubbs

Arnie has you covered.

Taking the skin off will dry out the meat....too much moisture lost.

I also like to inject my birds for added flavor and moisture.
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

RossP

Welcome SmokinBoo. There are a few of us from the lower rainland on the board, I am sure Q will be by soon. I am from Langley. Have fun with your smoker and make sure you leave the vent wide open doing chicken.

Ross
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

SmokinBoo

Wow !
Thanks for your help folks. Great tips so far.
Due to the amount of food i'm smoking, I'm going to marinade the ribs a few hours today and smoke them(apple pucks) for a few hours this evening. (while the canucks are beating the snot out of the leafs). I'll then bake them in the oven for a couple of hours before dinner tomorrow as the smoker will be busy cooking the chicken (hickory pucks).
My mouth is watering in anticipation.  :o

Quarlow

Hey ho I am here hello yeah yup uuhhuh. Welcome to the forum Smokinboo. You must like to scare people that get to close to your smoker. :D :D :D ;D I am here in Surrey/Newton area. I Don't know how much you have read the forum but alot of the new folks get the impression that you smoke for the whole time your food is in the smoker. With ribs and chicken, I like lots of smoke so I would smoke for 2 hrs and then cook the rest of the time.With poultry you want to keep the vent wide open and that won't bother the ribs either. I did side ribs a few days ago and never came close to 3-2-1, it was more like 3-1-0 I over did them. On the side ribs I will do 2-1-1 next time and then FTC them for awhile. Good luck with the grub, any questions just ask. Oh yeah this forum is free but you can pay us with pictures. ;D ;D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Quarlow

wow, typing on top of each other. Ok so what kind of ribs have you got?
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

SmokinBoo

Thanks Q.
I'm doing side pork ribs.
OK... FTC = ?
3 -2 - 1 = smoke - cook - ?
I'm really showing my newbiness..

SmokinBoo

Oh yeah.
Having trouble finding "Sifto Quik Cure" at the grocery store. Will any salt do for brines?
Cheers

Quarlow

Hey don't worry about it we all done and ask the same things. Ok FTC= Foil wrap with a splash of juice. Towel wrap with some old towels and Cooler as in stick the whole thing in a cooler and let it rest for an hour or so. It's a good way to hold them till your ready to eat cause they will stay hot and tenderize themselves in the cooler. 3-2-1 refers to smoke/cook three hours, wrap in foil with a splash of your favourite juice and stick them back in the smoker without smoke to cook for 2 hours and then take them out of the foil and put them back in to cook and set up for 1 hr.

OBS
BBQ

Quarlow

Now with those side ribs mine cook way fast. I smoked for 2 hrs and then let them cook for 1 more hr. then I wrapped them in foil and put them back in for 2 more hrs. I then took them out of the foil and stuck them back in for 1 more hr but I should not cause they were already done and I ended up over cooking them. I will do side ribs next time at 2-1-1. 2hrs of smoke/cook at 210-220f and 1 hr foil wrap with juice and then 1 more hr out of the foil.
I have not found cures locally anywhere. The only place is in langley and once I get back to work I will  go out and get some. I have 3 whole pork loins just waiting to be made on to CBB (canadian back bacon). What do you want to cure?

OBS
BBQ

SmokinBoo

for now i just want to brine the chicken for a few hours before smoking. I guess I could just use coarse salt for now?
Down the road I might try jerky/sausage/salmon you name it, and the Bradley recipe book mentions "Quik Cure".

Quarlow

If you are just brining some chickens and then they are going in to smoke/cook in the Bradley you don't need any cure. The brine is for flavour and moisture. The salt in the brine helps it absorb the liquid and is all you need. If you are going to cold smoke chickens, well that is a whole nother subject. You have to be very careful cold smoking poultry to make sure you keep it below the unsafe zone or above the unsafe zone.

OBS
BBQ

SmokinBoo

dbondy