• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

CB cure time?

Started by smokeNcanuck, January 30, 2010, 12:33:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokeNcanuck

Ok so I am attempting do do some Canadian bacon, for the first time.
I thought I had it all planed out so I could smoke it next Fri. night. six days to cure smoke the night of the sixth day. right?
Wrong missed the step "leave in fridge uncovered over night after curing".  No problem except that I'm going away next Sat.
So my question is this, Am I going to hurt anything if it cures for 7 days?
Is it totally necessary to let it sit over night before smoking?

Thanks for any help! ;)
sNc
Either Way....I'm Smoke'N It

Habanero Smoker

"Is it totally necessary to let it sit over night before smoking?" No, but that develops the pellicle, which helps with smoke penetration. You can skip this step, but may sacrifice smoke flavor.

You have a couple of other options. Instead of the overnight you can place the CB in the smoker at 110°F - 120°F for an hour or so, until the surface feel a little tacky, then increase the heat to 225°F and start applying the smoke.

Or remove it from the cure, soak, pat dry and wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, and when you return you can air dry in the refrigerator over night.

One extra day curing may not matter, but I'm not sure how thick you loin is.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

smokeNcanuck

Habs,

Thanks for the info. ;)
I have two pieces of loin both are 2 lbs and approx. 2" thick.

Habanero Smoker

Are they loins or tenderloins? If they are tenderloins, you may only need to cure for 4 days. So, if they are only 2" thick I would not go an extra day. My loins are closer to 3" thick, and those I cure for 6 days.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

smokeNcanuck

They are loins, it started as a whole that I cut in half and cleaned up.
How will I know when they have been cured enough?
I must cook till IT hits at least 140F if I want to eat with out further cooking, correct?

Habanero Smoker

For loins I usually go 2 days per inch of thickness, and if the measurement is a fraction of an inch below or above a full inch I always round up. So you should be alright with 6 days, just taste test after you soak them to see if the salt taste is alright. To test to see if they are fully cured, they should feel firm to the touch in all areas with no soft spots. Some times going by feel, takes a little experience.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

smokeNcanuck

You should taste them after I soak them? You mean eat a piece before I smoke it? Is that safe?
What is the worst case if they are under or over cured?

deb415611

Quote from: smokeNcanuck on January 30, 2010, 03:00:33 PM
You should taste them after I soak them? You mean eat a piece before I smoke it? Is that safe?

cut a little piece off and fry it up and taste it.  If it's too salty soak a little longer

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: deb415611 on January 30, 2010, 03:38:19 PM
Quote from: smokeNcanuck on January 30, 2010, 03:00:33 PM

cut a little piece off and fry it up and taste it.  If it's too salty soak a little longer

Sorry. Sometimes when I do something so many times, I forget that each step should be explain so there is no confusion. I should add that step to my recipe.

Thanks Deb.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

smokeNcanuck

Thanks for the help habs, and deb :D

I guess I'll just wait and see how it turns out. 
Sorry to repeat but, what happens if you over cure something??

RAF128

I did some a few weeks ago.    It turned out good but a little dry.    I should have kept a closer watch on it.    I was going to take it off at 140 but the temp climbed faster than I thought it would near the end and caught it at 150.    As I said it was good, just a little dryer that I would have liked.   Next time I'll pay more attention.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: smokeNcanuck on January 31, 2010, 05:20:20 AM
Thanks for the help habs, and deb :D

I guess I'll just wait and see how it turns out. 
Sorry to repeat but, what happens if you over cure something??

Curing too long, your results will be inconsistent, the meat can be too salty, the finished products may be unsatisfactory. In extreme cases it can be toxic, but if you used it in the amount directed in the recipe it is safe.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

smokeNcanuck

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on January 30, 2010, 02:55:50 PM
For loins I usually go 2 days per inch of thickness, and if the measurement is a fraction of an inch below or above a full inch I always round up. So you should be alright with 6 days, just taste test after you soak them to see if the salt taste is alright. To test to see if they are fully cured, they should feel firm to the touch in all areas with no soft spots. Some times going by feel, takes a little experience.

Just a quick question, by firm do you mean rubbery or hard.  I'm going on my sixth day and planning to smoke tomorrow, they are firm to the touch but kinda rubbery firm.
I'm not sure if that makes any sense but that's how I would describe it.  Done or not done?  I'm just kinda of cautious as this is my first time curing anything
and I would hate to make anyone sick!

Habanero Smoker

That sounds like a good description of the texture. The meat will still have some give, as if you are pressing on rubber that has some give to it, and not like you are pressing down on raw meat.

If it is not fully cured, you will not make anyone sick. You have kept it refrigerated during the curing process, and the meat will be fully cooked. So it will be safe to eat, just treat it as if you have cooked fresh meat.

The worse that will happen is that it will be grayish-brown in the center, because the cure time was not long enough. Don't worry about too much nitrite, the recipe you used and the curing time are in the safe range.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

smokeNcanuck

Thank You for the information! (dam rookies allways asking all these questions ;) ;))
I am going to smoke as you suggested putting in OBS at 110-120 till it becomes tacky
and then put the smoke to it.  I'll post some pic when I get er done!
Thanks again for all the help!