whole chickens

Started by electricshaman, January 30, 2010, 08:56:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

electricshaman

Hey everyone.
just need a little advice.  1.  any links for smoked whole chx recipes.  2. how long should i allow for 3- 5lb ers.  Thanks

Habanero Smoker

This recipe has received a lot of praise: MSW Smoked Chicken

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Pachanga

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=12473.0

This Cinnamon Spiced Chicken was more than excellent in the Bradley.  I had been using the rotisserie for years on this but the Bradley has made that a thing of the past.

It can be beer canned, butterflied or on its back.

You will not be disappointed.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

Tenpoint5

With poultry make sure that you keep the vent 3/4 to full open.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

electricshaman

having trouble getting my temp of the smoker over 200*.  I have 3 whole chickens in. the it of the chick is125*.  I have the temp on high.  any ideas. 

KevinG

Did you put them in right after taking them out of the fridge? I let mine sit out a while to warm up, especially with 3.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

electricshaman

I had them at room temp for about an hour before. 

KevinG

That's probably enough, but with 3 I'm not sure. If it's windy out that could be a problem, also if your pan of water was cold going in. I wouldn't get overly concerned as long as you've seen your smoker get over 200, otherwise you might have a bad connection somewhere.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Tenpoint5

What is your vent opening? It should be 3/4 to full open. If not the trapped moisture in the cabinet will hold your temps down.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

electricshaman

I had it 1/4 open,  i changed it to full.  it will let you know.  thanks 10

Tenpoint5

Be willing to bet you see your temps start climbing here real soon.

OU812

How did the chicken turn out?

Tenpoint5

Quote from: OU812 on February 01, 2010, 07:25:54 AM
How did the chicken turn out?
Good question How did things turn out after you opened the vent up?

electricshaman

ok,  i had to remove the birds and finish in the oven.  time crunch.  I think the vent open from the begininng would have made a big difference.  the birds tasted great though.   Thanks yall.

OU812

Do it again, Do it again, Do it again, Do it again

This time brush the bird with butter and let the skin dry uncovered in the fridge overnight. Then keep the vent open and the cabnet temp set at 250 F and pull the bird out when the IT hits 165 F

In the smoker you wont get crispy skin like on the grill or in the oven but I have got damn close this way.