Unburt pucks

Started by mski, January 31, 2010, 03:53:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mski

Posted this in the bradley flavor bisqettes too, didn't know where to.
Hi, new here,
I dove in and got a smoke generator and cold adapter for my home built smoker.
I used to use a cast iron dutch oven with a lid and hose going to the smoker, worked great but alot of tending especially if I needed a thin smoke.
After 2 uses My findings
The Good;
1. perfect even smoke, (low heat) gonna be great for fermented sausages.
2. Cheap if I buy right and considering the not needed labor of watching tending watching tending.
3. Any wood I could think of is availabe.
The bad
1. a few things I heavy smoke for a short time, 1 hour, dont think this will do it. (given credit it is a cold smoker)
2. have to buy more Beer, more time on my hands.
3. The BIG question, the biskits don't burn all the way, I preheat but only about 80% burn, I seen posts that this is because of no heat from the smoker to help.
I do get 20 min of smoke minus  the new one starting but seems a waste.
What I was thinking is just let the spent biskit drop into a dry pan and let it burn out, being that it would not be heated after it was out it wouldn't create foul bitter smoke.

Thanks
Mark
  And a big Kudos to Yard and Pool and Meat Processing Products, thanks to you all I found these wounderfull vendors, they are great!!!!!

classicrockgriller

Have you got your SG plugged into a extention cord?

mski

yep, its own circuit too. 14 gauge cord.
I just now tried and let them fall into a cast iron pan and they burned all up !
?

classicrockgriller

Quote from: mski on January 31, 2010, 05:34:44 PM
yep, its own circuit too. 14 gauge cord.
I just now tried and let them fall into a cast iron pan and they burned all up !
?

I agree! ? ?

Habanero Smoker

One of Bradley's selling points is that the smoke generator only allows the bisquettes to burn 20 minutes. This is to prevent the "foul bitter smoke". I've never smoked without water in the pan, so I can't say if this will effect your meat to the point you can detect it.

Which bisquettes were you using? I have more problems with the Jim Beam's burning completely through then any of the other bisquettes.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

RAF128

None of the bisquettes burn completely in my DBS.    The OBS burns them completely.  The DBS is plugged directly into the wall so that's not it.    The OBS is run outside (in warmer weather ;)) with a 50 ft extension cord and no problems.   IMO it's the burner on the digitals.

mski

I got the OBS generator,   Hickory flavor,
I think I'll let them drop and burn out untill I find it makes a bitter taste in something, I'm thinking since its not heated they wont put off bitterness.
I think a true tell tale will be jerkey

I'll report back

Tenpoint5

Correct me if I am wrong, but here is what I am getting out of this.

You have a HOME BUILT smoker.
You are using an OBS Smoke Generator
It is on it's on Power Line.
The puck are not burning completely. Hickory

I do believe that the burner on the OBS SG is designed to burn the pucks with the assistance of the main heating element. It will burn the pucks but not as effectively. Even if your using heat in your smoker there might not be enough heat assistance do to the size of the smoker. I think the smoke generator that Bradley offers for home built smokers might have a burner that is somewhat hotter to facilitate a better burn of the pucks.

RAF
I have the DBS and I don't have any issues what so ever with my burner not burning completely.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

mski

Ok, I have the OBS replacement generator and the cold smoke box.
that could explain why.
Thanks

pensrock

I have not noticed any bitter taste if not using water when cold smoking.  ???