Whole Juniper Berries

Started by classicrockgriller, February 02, 2010, 09:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExpatCanadian

Quote from: Caneyscud on February 04, 2010, 08:27:01 AM
Also, the Slovak national alcoholic beverage borovicka (or something like that) is also flavored with juniper berries.

How funny! Got a bit behind in my forum reading, but I am actually IN Slovakia as I type this....  I am working here in Bratislava for a couple days before heading on to our Budapest office tomorrow afternoon.  I'm a big fan of local beverages, I particularly like Becherovka from the Czech Republic, but it looks like Borovička is a bit different.  I'll DEFINITELY be trying some this evening!

For interest, here is the Wikipedia page I found on it:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borovička

Thanks for the heads up...  I'll report back tomorrow how it was....  and how bad the headache is too  ;)

Caneyscud

Quote from: ExpatCanadian on February 09, 2010, 04:21:54 AM

Quote from: Caneyscud on February 04, 2010, 08:27:01 AM
Also, the Slovak national alcoholic beverage borovicka (or something like that) is also flavored with juniper berries.

How funny! Got a bit behind in my forum reading, but I am actually IN Slovakia as I type this....  I am working here in Bratislava for a couple days before heading on to our Budapest office tomorrow afternoon.  I'm a big fan of local beverages, I particularly like Becherovka from the Czech Republic, but it looks like Borovička is a bit different.  I'll DEFINITELY be trying some this evening!

For interest, here is the Wikipedia page I found on it:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borovička

Thanks for the heads up...  I'll report back tomorrow how it was....  and how bad the headache is too  ;)

One of the great things about this forum, is that there is always field testers on the ground willing to go that extra mile to get the information that we all crave.  Thanks for your time and all the wear and tear on your body Expat!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Tob

I have a friend who harvests wild juniper berries every summer, he just puts them in burlap sacks and hangs them in the kitchen. He and his wife use them throughout the winter in soups, stews and for home made gin.
From what he has said, the berries do not lose any appreciable amount of flavour.
Prior proper planning prevents
piss poor performance

ExpatCanadian

Well, having just regained conciousness after my sampling of Slovakian spirits the other night...... :D I can report that Borovička is really quite pleasant...  I had a couple shots of it, and then asked the bartender to recommend something else traditional. I went with the "Slivovica" which is a cousin to Borovička, except made with Plums and matured in barrels for 3 years.  Now that one I REALLY liked, but had to stop after 2....  at 53% alcohol, I was starting to get a bit wobbly!

I'm in Budapest now... looking forward to sampling a few bevvies this evening.

KevinG

Woo Hoo, they showed up today!

Thanks CRG!
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

classicrockgriller

Was glad to do it for ya Kevin!

KevinG

You're alright, I don't care what Hal says about you.  ;) :D
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

classicrockgriller

Quote from: KevinG on February 11, 2010, 03:48:24 PM
You're alright, I don't care what Hal says about you.  ;) :D

I might would listen to hal if I could understand him. ;D ;D

OU812

Got my stuff lastnight, Thanks CRG.

My part is in the snail mail.

classicrockgriller

OU812

Oh Ya

Could you take a picture of the label, front and back?

So I can put it on the Bottle I'm goin to use.

Thanks my friend.

classicrockgriller

Has no back label

"Legg's" Old Planatation Seasonings

WORCESTERSHIRE POWDER

filled by weight
net weight 260z

Blended of Corn Syrup Solids,
Salt, Caramel Color, Garlic,
Sugar, Spices, Natural Flavor,
And Tamarinds.

Contains Potential Allergens:
Wheat, Soy

P O Box 709
Calera, Al 35040

Lot # 155137

OU812

Thanks CRG

Let me know when my part gets there, will ya?

squirtthecat

CRG, I got mine today as well!

Thanks!!

classicrockgriller

If I can ever help again, just let me know.