1st GB jerky attempt this Sat. Any advice?

Started by azamuner73, February 05, 2010, 05:51:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

azamuner73

Hey guys,

I've thawed some extra lean GB and I am going to make some jerky with it tomorrow.  I do have a few questions since I've only tried it with flank steak before.

Can you marinade GB and if so, for how long?  Can it be a wet marinade?

For flank steaks I would use a wet marinade at put it in the fridge for about 24 hours before dehydrating.  I don't know if GB can or should be done in the same fashion.

I've never used a curing salt...usually I use kosher or pickling salt and there is salt in the soya sauce.

I just got the LEM jerky cannon.  Any pointers as to usage and common 1st timer mistakes?

I hear it's better for the GB to be room temp so it goes through easier but what should I do...shoot it on to wax paper and then transfer to my dehydrator trays or should I shoot it right on the trays themselves?  It's one of those cheap round stackable ones you get at Walmart.  I guess I'm worried as to how easy this falls apart.  I'm assuming it falls apart very easy.

Since I don't have a Bradley yet, I will use a little liquid smoke to get some smokey  flavor in there.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

Piker

I mix the spices and cure #1 in some liquid, about 1/2 cup of ice water and then mix thoroughly with the ground beef. Use I tps of cure for 5 lbs. of meat. I usually leave it in the fridge overnight and use the jerky shooter directly on the dehi. trays the next morning. Leave it until it reaches the consistency that you like. Piker

azamuner73

Thanks!

Another member here is gonna hook me up with some cure so I better get that asap so I can get goin.  I'm having jerky withdrawls.

NePaSmoKer

I do the same, always mix the dry with the liquid. It incorporates into the meat better this way you don't have any dry clumps stuck in the meat.

OU812

Quote from: Piker on February 05, 2010, 08:03:29 AM
I mix the spices and cure #1 in some liquid, about 1/2 cup of ice water and then mix thoroughly with the ground beef. Use I tps of cure for 5 lbs. of meat. I usually leave it in the fridge overnight and use the jerky shooter directly on the dehi. trays the next morning. Leave it until it reaches the consistency that you like. Piker

Ditto, what Piker said

You can get cure at many places on line like Allied Kenco

azamuner73

Got my GB marinading now and I will be shooting and drying on Sun.

Thanks to Halifax Aussie for hooking me up with the cure.  Never expected to find a member who lives 10 mins from me.   :D

Didn't take any pics since GB looks like.....well GB.

I might take a few of the rest of the process.  I know folks here like pics.   :)

azamuner73

Man how long does it take for this stuff to dry?

I had it in the dehydrator yesterday for around 7 hours and it's still not done.  They are starting to look great but they are sweating a little grease.  Should I pat this off or just keep dehydrating with it on there?  I had to put my trays in the fridge last night and I fired them back on this morning.  The wife is going to keep checking them until they are done.

I'm used to slicing muscle meat like flank steak or turkey breast on a meat cutter and then only drying for around 4 hours or so.  I did take note of the thickness of the GB when I shot it on to the trays, but I thought it would only be maybe 6 hours.  hehe boy was I wrong.

Is there a rough estimate of drying time for GB jerky done with a jerky cannon (flat stick form)?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: azamuner73 on February 08, 2010, 03:58:43 AM
Man how long does it take for this stuff to dry?

I had it in the dehydrator yesterday for around 7 hours and it's still not done.  They are starting to look great but they are sweating a little grease.  Should I pat this off or just keep dehydrating with it on there?  I had to put my trays in the fridge last night and I fired them back on this morning.  The wife is going to keep checking them until they are done.

I'm used to slicing muscle meat like flank steak or turkey breast on a meat cutter and then only drying for around 4 hours or so.  I did take note of the thickness of the GB when I shot it on to the trays, but I thought it would only be maybe 6 hours.  hehe boy was I wrong.

Is there a rough estimate of drying time for GB jerky done with a jerky cannon (flat stick form)?

Could be a few reasons.

Wattage of your dehydrator, to low of a temp, air flow, amount of jerky you have, moisture content. In my Cabelas dehydrator it can take from 5 to 12 hours with the few reasons i mentioned.

azamuner73

I just have a Koolatron Total Chef round stackable dehyrador...nothing special.  There is no temp gauge on it so I usually go by look and feel to figure out when my jerky is done.  I'm still pretty new to it all, I didn't realize I'd get hooked so easily.

I have all 5 trays full so about 1 kg worth of GB.  This is the first time I added water to my marinade so that could be the culprit.
I had the wife pat off the top of the jerky and it went another 3 hours in the dehydrator.  I hope it's done...won't know until I get home from work.

I'd like to get an Excalibur dehyrator with the timer and temp gauge but that's on my wish list...along with the smoker.

I'll get there.

azamuner73

Well it took a total of around 10 hours I think.  Looks good and tastes good...just went a little too light on the salt.

I forgot to take some photos during the process but it's nothing exciting.  I will however post a pic or 2 of the finished product.

It was about a kilo of GB and it dried down to about 1/2 a kilo, so standard shrinkage.

Already thinking of the next batch.  Maybe next time I'll actually measure all of the ingredients instead of just the cure.   :D

OU812

Quote from: azamuner73 on February 09, 2010, 05:07:28 AM
Maybe next time I'll actually measure all of the ingredients instead of just the cure.   :D

I have that problum too, just add till I like the taste.  ::)

azamuner73

OU812

KevinG

I'm not a ground beef jerky guy, but that stuff sure does look good. You may just make a conversion here.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

azamuner73

I took forever to dry but it's a nice finished product.

I should have added a little more kosher salt and maybe a bit more liquid smoke but other than that, it's really good.

Kinda tastes like a mix between jerky and a slightly sweet pepperoni.