Deep fried pork butt

Started by IcedGotti, February 06, 2010, 02:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IcedGotti

Of course everyone has tried the deep fried turkey by now.  But how about the deep fried pork butt.  Has anyone tried this?  If not I guess I'm going to have to try this in my lab and post results. 

classicrockgriller

I know they "Fry" pork Butts in TBE.

I say go for it.

Let us know!

Ka Honu

When you fry a pork butt (or shoulder, or other large cut of meat) in oil or TBE, you'll get a nice product but it will be more of a roast than anything else - not as tender as one done using the "low & slow" heat needed to break down the collagen.  With that in mind, go for it!

classicrockgriller

I know deep fryed pork chops are delicious, but that is a thinner cut of meat.

pensrock

My BIL told me he went to a hunting club party and they had deep fried a venison hind quarter. He said it was boned out and and a stainless steel tube with holes in it was put into the center of the meat. That way it cooks from the inside as well as the outside. He said everyone loved it. I would imagine it would have been injected with some spices. I would like to try one sometime myself.  :)

ronbeaux

They are good injected with Creole butter and deep fried to around 165 IT. Not pulled pork, but slice worthy for sure. The crust is especially good!!!

If you try and take them to 195/200 It they will be burnt to a crisp.
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: pensrock on February 06, 2010, 04:36:15 PM
My BIL told me he went to a hunting club party and they had deep fried a venison hind quarter. He said it was boned out and and a stainless steel tube with holes in it was put into the center of the meat. That way it cooks from the inside as well as the outside. He said everyone loved it. I would imagine it would have been injected with some spices. I would like to try one sometime myself.  :)

Quote from: ronbeaux on February 06, 2010, 04:40:46 PM
They are good injected with Creole butter and deep fried to around 165 IT. Not pulled pork, but slice worthy for sure. The crust is especially good!!!

If you try and take them to 195/200 It they will be burnt to a crisp.

Those both sound dang good!

TMB

I have *fried* a pork butt in TBE and yes it is very goos. Ka Honu is correct, it won't be as good as low and slow but it will be a killer roast!
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!