• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Hillbilly Bacon

Started by stantonl, February 07, 2010, 12:10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stantonl

I was wondering if hillbilly bacon is anything like British bacon. I think they call it rasher over there.

Larry

FLBentRider

Hillbilly bacon is made from pork butt.

I'm not sure what cut of meat bitish bacon is made from.

I think you would be looking at the loin, so more like Canadian Bacon.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

When the term British bacon is use it commonly means back bacon, or Canadian bacon (what it is called in the States). But in general, and depending on the reference that term can cover the whole array of bacon made in Great Britain.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FLBentRider

I found this: it's a word doc, it describes the different cuts that the British make bacon out of:

http://www.lovebacon.info/documents/BACONCUTSGUIDE.doc

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

stantonl

Thanks for the info. I had rashers many years back and I was extremely happy with it. Looked at the recipe for hillbilly bacon and it sounds like rasher. After looking over that word doc I guess it's not. Still think I'll give that a try.

Larry

FLBentRider

Quote from: stantonl on February 07, 2010, 02:32:18 PM
Thanks for the info. I had rashers many years back and I was extremely happy with it. Looked at the recipe for hillbilly bacon and it sounds like rasher. After looking over that word doc I guess it's not. Still think I'll give that a try.

Larry

Let us know how it turns out.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

stantonl

I was looking at the recipe for hillbilly bacon and it calls for 1/2 cup of Morton's tender quick but on the bag they call for one tablespoon per pound. Just wondering which one to follow.

Larry

FLBentRider

Quote from: stantonl on February 09, 2010, 05:43:29 PM
I was looking at the recipe for hillbilly bacon and it calls for 1/2 cup of Morton's tender quick but on the bag they call for one tablespoon per pound. Just wondering which one to follow.

Larry

I guess it depends on the how big the butt is. There are 8 tablespoons in a 1/2 cup, most butts are ~8lbs.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

stantonl

I got a four pound boneless butt. I think I'll go with four tablespoons.

Larry

stantonl

The recipe calls for six or seven days of cure time and I'm really interested to see how this is going to turn out. Will the extra day really make a difference?

Larry

Habanero Smoker

I've never made this bacon. If you go with the 1 Tbsp. per pound, for best results don't shake off the excess, and use all the cure. On the curing time a lot depends on how thick your roast is at it's thickest part.

Also I would NOT pour off any accumulated liquid. Also every day or every other day I would pick the bag up use a rocking motion to redistribute the liquid, turn it over and place it back into the refrigerator.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

stantonl

Well I decided to go ahead and try the hillbilly bacon tonight. I'll update with more pics after the smoke finishes.

Larry

stantonl

FLBentRider

That looks good!

How did it taste?

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

stantonl

I just had some for breakfast and I'm impressed. I'll have to eat a few more slices to make sure that I happy with it.

Larry